The Buffalo History Museum has been Western New York's premier historical organization since 1862. We are the keepers of the authentic stories that make our community unique. Our collections, exhibits, and programs tell the stories of the people, events, and movements that demonstrate Western New York's essential place in shaping American history.
The Buffalo History Museum was founded in 1862 and now has a collection of more than 100,000 physical objects, over 200,000 photographs, and 20,000 books that shape our understanding of Western New York's story. Our Mission is: Experiencing history with you, by remembering, discovering, and sharing our stories; sparking emotional and social connections within our unique community.
Experiencing history with you, by safekeeping, remembering, discovering, and sharing our stories; learning and exploring together; sparking emotional and social connections within our unique community.
• Be the leading cultural and educational institution for the study, interpretation and publication of Western New York history.
• Ensure and advocate for the preservation, exploration, and enjoyment of our historic treasures.
• By inspiring personal connections to our regional stories, strengthen the fabric of the community and encourage respect.
• Be a hub for gathering, socializing, connecting, and engaging – specifically a welcoming place that establishes and expands networks and creates shared experiences.
• Build sustainable financial capital and hire, develop and retain talent.
• Through our past, present and future, foster connections with our shared history and contribute to the region’s overall quality of life.
• Engage our supporters as goodwill ambassadors for the Museum and for Western New York.