The agency was originally established in the year 2000 as a response to calls by families with special needs children. These families were in great need of a reliable mode of temporary relief services, as well as an active program to support their children at home and the community. Since its inception, the agency has diversified its services to meet the needs of families who may have a variety of expectations from the services. However, all services provided by Behavior Respite in Action are active services in that they promote engagement and learning, while giving parents time off to attend to personal and broader family activities.
Instructors provide in home one to one behavioral respite to children with special needs in the home, school, or elsewhere in the community depending on the specific needs and mental health of the individual child. Each individual’s curriculum is designed to enhance both the families and the child’s quality of life as well as address the specific behavioral deficits, excesses, and other delays the child may exhibit.
Servicing all of Los Angeles County:
• San Gabriel/Pomona
• Alhambra/East LA
• Long Beach/Torrance
• Staff needs to manage minor or major behavioral excesses such as physical and/or verbal aggression.
• Parents want the staff to actively engage their child and not passively "watch" him or her.
• Needs to be able to follow a behavioral plan.
• Highly motivated to work with individuals with developmental disabilities.
• Teach self-help skills, domestic skills, and independence.
• Provide temporary relief to parents.
• Part time (10-30hrs)
What We Offer:
• Compensation $14.25-$16.00 an hour
• Paid training/workshops, flexible schedules, weekend hours, and growth opportunities.
• Minimum of High School Diploma/GED
• Experience working with children in a professional capacity or be pursuing a degree in Psychology, Education, Special Education, Early Childhood Education, Social Work, Sociology, or any other related field.
• Pass a proficiency test with 85% accuracy (training is provided)-Professional demeanor and strong communicative skills
• Reliable transportation
• CPR/First Aid Certification
“I am able to make my own schedule, work flexible hours, and enjoy working with the clients and their families.”