Income Tax Preparer (VITA Volunteer) or Internship
The VITA Tax Preparer works one-on-one with individuals and families to prepare tax returns using tax-software. Preparers serve as a legitimate and trusted no-cost resource, ensuring customers file correctly and receive support and resources around managing return and/or owed taxes.
Benefits of Volunteering:
Become a certified Volunteer Income Tax Assistant. Gain real life experience preparing federal and state taxes and hands-on experience with a professional tax preparation software program and professional networking. Knowledge that you are helping families thrive!
Duties & Responsibilities:
· Prepare state and federal tax returns using tax software
· Provide excellent customer service by providing friendly support, answering questions, and directing customers to Intake and Resource Specialist when appropriate
· Team-oriented, able to work cooperatively with staff and other volunteers
· Ability to abide by all confidentiality policies and procedures
· Attend all tax-law training sessions and successfully attain IRS-tax law certification (Training and coaching is provided to ensure success)
· Other duties as assigned
Safety: Responsible for conducting all duties in a safe manner.
Affirmative Action: Responsible to follow affirmative action plan as set forth and signed by the Board of Directors.
Education & Experience:
· Must be at least 18 years of age
· High school diploma/GED/equivalent is required
· Desire to learn how to complete IRS and MN Income Tax forms (no experience required)
· Desire to help the community (Training and coaching is provided to ensure success)
Abilities & Skills: In order to be successful in this position, the volunteer will at minimum need to possess the following abilities and skills:
· Strong customer service skills and ability to discuss sensitive matters with empathy and respect
· Excellent attention to detail
· Computer proficiency
· Must be comfortable interacting with people of diverse backgrounds, education, economic status, and culture
· Demonstrated ability to handle confidential information in a professional and discreet manner
· Fluency in English language (written and spoken). Bilingual in Hmong, Karen, Nepali, Somali, Spanish or another language desired
· Must successfully pass a criminal background check and provide references
· Sign in and out on timesheet when volunteering
Normal office exertion required.
This position requires the ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks.
Normal office environment
· 10-15 hours of IRS and Minnesota tax law training (provided in person or online).
· Complete training during December 2019 or January 2020
· Successful completion of IRS-Tax Law Certification after training (coaching provided)
· Assist at a minimum of 5 tax clinics during February 1st-April 16th, 2020
· Minimum of four hours per tax clinic, more hours are desired
· Flexible schedule is available, if you need to take some time off
· View schedule below
Tax Clinic Schedule and Locations:
· 9am - 4pm Saturdays, St. Paul; 450 Syndicate St North, St Paul, MN 55104 (Office/Tax Site is located on the Green Line train route) Saturday is preferred
· 9am - 4pm Thursdays, Woodbury; 7645 Currell Blvd, Woodbury, MN 55125 (Washington County CDA office)
Advance Registration for College Students:
Yes, you can reserve this internship position by registering in advance. Example: be accepted for spring term by registering during fall term and meeting with us before you depart for break.
Complete an Ongoing Registration Form at www.caprw.org/take-action/volunteer and
email/scan resume & references to firstname.lastname@example.org
Registration will continue until all positions are filled or until January 17, 2020 - whichever occurs first.
Questions? Email or call 651-603-5979