Data Scientist Intern - DATAS007507-00001
The Capital Area Division (CAD) of Applied Research Associates, Inc (ARA) is seeking a Data Scientist Intern to support the Department of Homeland Security’s (DHS) Science and Technology Directorate (S&T). DHS S&T is responsible for conducting and coordinating Research and Development (R&D) activities across the Department to research, develop, transition, and integrate cutting-edge capabilities to DHS Components, as well as to monitor and maintain the adequacy and operation of existing capabilities.
As a valued contributor to our team, you will support and conduct projects requiring interdisciplinary methods including mathematical modeling, simulation, statistics, and data analysis. This includes but is not limited to developing and applying models and concepts that help to illuminate management issues and suggest solutions approaches using predictive analytics, geospatial analysis, big data analysis, optimization, game theory, forecasting, process and mathematical modeling, and probability and statistics.
As an intern at ARA, you will have opportunities for career advancement and continued learning outside of your primary job functions. At ARA, we foster an environment where you are empowered to research and develop your own ideas – with resources and support from a strong internal technical team and external partners. Day-to-day, you can expect flexibility in choosing the level of autonomy suited to you while enjoying great opportunities for personal growth.
Applicants for this position will support a variety of requirements and analysis projects for a range of government sponsors.
Successful candidates will:
• Elicit requirements from analytic team members and identify and analyze datasets to contribute to analyses
• Work with structured and unstructured data to identify trends, related entities, patterns, and processes
• Evaluate, and recommend new methodologies and analytical tools related to the use of structured and unstructured data
• Employ data modeling processes to create algorithms and descriptive or predictive models for customized analyses
• Conduct data storytelling by generating reports, models, and visualizations that characterize datasets, communicate actionable insights, and enhance the utility of data
The selected applicant will be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility for DHS suitability/fitness and for access to classified information.
• High school diploma
• An analytic mindset, with strong problem-solving abilities and an eagerness to learn new tools and techniques
• Experience with Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Teams, SharePoint)
• Experience conducting defensible analyses and assessments, and providing data-driven recommendations
• Familiarity with one or more of the following analytic tools: Python, R, SQL, MATLAB, Java, SAS, Stata, SPSS, Tableau
• Ability to query, manipulate, update, interpret, and analyze large and complex datasets
• Must be a U.S. Citizen
• Must be able to obtain and maintain DHS suitability
• Must be a currently enrolled, full-time student in a Bachelor’s Degreeprogram or above, at an accredited university
• Experience querying data from sources such as PostgreSQL, MySQL, MongoDB, and/or S3
• Practical understanding of artificial intelligence / machine learning (AI/ML) techniques and advanced statistical modeling
• Experience with predictive analysis, trend analysis, sensitivity analysis, and other common techniques
• Demonstrated proficiency using APIs to retrieve and manipulate data to extract insights and perform complex analytic functions
Applied Research Associates, Inc. is an employee-owned international research and engineering company recognized for providing technically superior solutions to complex and challenging problems in the physical sciences. The company, founded in Albuquerque, NM, in 1979, currently employs over 1200 professionals. ARA offices throughout the United States and Canada provide a broad range of technical expertise in defense technologies, civil technologies, computer software and simulation, systems analysis, environmental technologies, and testing and measurement. The corporation also provides sophisticated technical products for environmental site characterization, pavement analysis, and robotics.
At ARA, employees are our greatest assets. The corporation realizes that employee ownership fosters greater creativity and initiative along with higher performance and customer satisfaction levels. ARA gives its employees the tools, training, and opportunities to take more active roles as owners. The culture is challenging; innovation and experimentation are the norm. Employees are eligible for contributions which not only add to the company’s success, but also their own through the Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP). The motto, “Engineering and Science for Fun and Profit” sums up the ARA experience. For additional information and an opportunity to join this unique workplace, please visit our website at www.ara.com.
Please apply at www.careers.ara.com for the Data Scientist Intern position.
• Team Player: Works well as a member of a group
• Enthusiastic: Shows intense and eager enjoyment and interest
• Detail Oriented: Capable of carrying out a given task with all details necessary to get the task done well
• Dedicated: Devoted to a task or purpose with loyalty or integrity
• Self-Starter: Inspired to perform without outside help
• Growth Opportunities: Inspired to perform well by the chance to take on more responsibility
• Ability to Make an Impact: Inspired to perform well by the ability to contribute to the success of a project or the organization
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)