We are seeking Housing Specialists who will be responsible for permanent housing placement for all housing-ready individuals in the shelter. The Housing Specialist will have an assigned caseload and will be responsible for the successful placement of these individuals by DHS' contractual requirements. The Housing Specialist works with community organizations, government agencies, and property owners to secure living arrangements, and negotiate rents, deposits, and move-in terms on behalf of their clients. The position involves various tasks that increase housing options for people who are trying to transition to permanent housing.
Salary for the Housing Specialists is $40,000 to $45,000/Annually based on relevant experience.
Responsibilities consist of but are not limited to:
- Assisting individuals in shelters/transitional housing with finding suitable permanent residence.
- Developing and maintaining liaison with landlords and the community.
- Helping individuals with application/process for Section 8 and NYCHA.
- Assisting individuals through the entire housing process from application, meeting prospective landlords, lease signing and moving.
- Working directly with realtors, landlords and Social Services Department to expedite lease signing process.
- Inspecting apartments, checking status of Public Assistance Cases.
- Preparing monthly reports.
- Conducting initial intakes and initial independent living plans.
EDUCATION AND REQUIREMENTS:
- Associate's Degree required. Bachelor's degree preferred
- 2 years of direct experience housing assistance to underserved
- Knowledge of DHS rules and regulations required
- Comfortable communicating with clients and professional staff
- Understanding of low-income and homeless individuals and their specific needs
- Knowledge of crisis prevention, intervention, and resolution techniques; match such techniques to particular circumstances and individuals
- Must be comfortable working in a Hotel or Shelter
- Bilingual is a plus
About Us: Acacia Network, the leading Latino integration care nonprofit in the nation, offers the community, from children to seniors, a pathway to behavioral and primary healthcare, housing, and empowerment. We are visionary leaders transforming the triple aim of high quality, and great experience at a lower cost. Acacia champions a collaborative environment to deliver vital health, housing, and community-building services, work we have been doing since 1969. By hiring talented individuals like you, we've been able to expand quickly, with offices in Albany, Buffalo, Syracuse, Orlando, Tennessee, Maryland, and Puerto Rico.
*Acacia Network is an equal opportunity employer*