Emergency Response Planning Director
The Emergency Response Planning Director develops, implements, and evaluates cost-effective and outcome-based strategies for the Milwaukee Health Department’s (MHD’s) emergency preparedness program.
Program Leadership, Direction and Planning
- Oversee the MHD’s emergency preparedness activities; assure program compliance with city, state and federal regulatory requirements.
- Monitor national best practices for regulatory programs and implement proven strategies to improve divisional performance and outcomes.
- Utilize outcomes-based management and quality improvement strategies to improve divisional performance and outcomes.
- Assist with outbreak investigations in coordination with other branches, departments, and other state, local and federal agencies.
Staff Management and Administration
- Develop and implement a program for professional development and field evaluation of staff.
- Promote an environment of critical and creative thinking, professional growth, open communication and collaborative relationships.
- Participate in recruitment, selection, and assignment of emergency preparedness personnel.
- Lead efforts to build morale, enforce accountability and discipline, and improve performance.
- Develop and maintain collaborative relationships with other City departments, such as the Office of Emergency Management/Homeland Security and Communications, Milwaukee Fire Department, Milwaukee Police Department, Department of Public Works, Department of Neighborhood Services, City Attorney’s Office and state and federal regulatory agencies such as the WI Department of Health Services, Healthcare Emergency Readiness Coalition (HERC) Region 7, US Department of Health and Human Services.
- Develop and maintain collaborative relationships with community-based organizations, private and non-profit agencies in the City and region; represent the department at community-based events.
We welcome qualified individuals with disabilities who are interested in employment and will make reasonable accommodations during the hiring process in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, as amended by the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) of 2008.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Occasionally will be exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, and outdoor weather conditions.
- May work outside of regular work hours in conjunction with public health emergencies and investigations and/or be assigned to participate in an MHD Incident Command System during a declared public health emergency.
- The preplacement medical requirements for this title include:
- TB Test, annually throughout employment
- Current Covid-19 Vaccine
- Hep B Vaccine
- MMR Vaccine
- Varicella Vaccine
- Drug Screen - Non DOT
- A bachelor’s degree in environmental health, emergency management, public health, physical science, biology, natural or physical science or a related field from an accredited college or university.
- Five years of full-time, progressively responsible experience in emergency preparedness, program management and supervision within a governmental agency.
- Valid driver’s license at time of appointment and throughout employment and the availability of a properly-insured personal vehicle for use on the job (automobile allowance provided).
- Possession of Emergency Preparedness certificates ICS 100, 200, 300, and NIMS 700 from FEMA within three months of appointment and throughout employment.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience may be considered.
The current salary range (Pay Range 1IX) is $94,051-$109,938 annually, and the resident incentive salary range for City of Milwaukee residents is $96,873-$113,236 annually. Appointment above the minimum is possible based upon level of experience and other qualifications and is subject to approval.
The City of Milwaukee provides a comprehensive benefit program.For full details of the benefits offered by the City of Milwaukee, please visit: https://city.milwaukee.gov/der/benefits.
The City of Milwaukee values and encourages diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.