Stormwater Plan Reviewer
Do you enjoy working on a variety of projects with high-performing colleagues in a fostering environment while improving the world around you? At the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality, we value our employees who dedicate themselves in protecting Virginia’s natural resources. All positions work collectively toward one goal: safeguarding Virginia’s diverse and abundant natural resources, which benefit agriculture, industry, and commerce, to provide a rich environment for people, plants, and wildlife.
This is a readvertisement / extension. Previous applicants need not reapply.
The Virginia Department of Environmental Quality Northern Regional Office seeks an individual to review construction plans for private, local, state, and federal projects for conformance with the Virginia Stormwater Management (SWM) and the Virginia Erosion and Sediment Control (ESC) Programs. This position concurrently reviews multiple construction plans, which includes initial reviews, resubmissions, and final construction drawings. The position will also conduct compliance inspections as needed.
- Knowledge of engineering, urban soil conservation principles, stormwater management, hydrologic and hydraulic engineering principles
- Knowledge of compliance and enforcement practices; knowledge of federal and state stormwater, ESC, and water quality control laws and regulations
- Ability to independently determine the adequacy of plan proposals in conjunction with regulatory requirements.
- Ability to work effectively with little direct supervision.
- Ability to work well with diverse groups of people.
- Ability to communicate clearly both verbally and in writing.
- Computer literacy in word processing, spreadsheets, and database management.
- Provisional certification in both SWM and ESC plan review shall be obtained as soon as possible. DEQ full certification as an ESC and SWM plan review must be obtained within 12 months of employment.
- Valid driver’s license to operate a state-owned/leased vehicle.
- Experience in engineering principles or physical science discipline containing hydraulic or soil principles or in another technical field relating to land use planning and development.
- Experience with and/or course work in site design, soils, surface water hydrology, field surveying, and/or environmental law.
- Extensive experience in working with local governments, design engineers, consultants, or land development industry professionals.
Why Work at DEQ? DEQ employees are rewarded with a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package, which may include:
- Comprehensive health insurance
- A healthy work-life-balance
- 15 paid holidays, vacation/personal/sick/parental leave
- Membership in the Virginia state retirement system
- Flexible schedules
- Tuition reimbursement
- Performance-based recognition
- Access to an extensive professional development and training program
- Opportunities for advancement and much more.
To Apply: Go to the position posting on the Virginia Jobs portal and apply today! Applicants are encouraged to be specific regarding job-related knowledge, skills, and abilities. Applications received after November 27, 2023, or submitted via postal mail, email, or fax will not be considered.