Senior Caseworker and Constituent Liaison
The office of Senator Kristen Gonzalez is hiring a Senior Caseworker & Constituent Services Liaison to better serve our Triborough district. See the description below for more details!
The Senior Caseworker and Constituent Liaison will handle and resolve cases, connect residents to services and resources, and identify emerging community issues. They will also lead on borough specific events and organizing and work closely with the other community liaisons and the Director of Community Affairs & Special Projects to ensure the district office is responding adequately to the needs of SD59. The Senior Caseworker and Community Liaison will report directly to the Director of Community Affairs & Special Projects and work closely with the other Community Liaisons.
- Serve as a caseworker assisting constituents with addressing a range of concerns including, but not limited to: unemployment, housing, health care, and public benefits programs, liaising with state departments, agencies, and private companies to resolve constituent issues, answer questions, and address concerns.
- Track cases in constituent management system, including intake, tracking, follow-up, and resolution of constituent issues
- Act as a liaison to a borough-specific assignment, managing relationships with local community organizations and stakeholders while tracking on important and ongoing community issues.
- Develop and manage relationships with government agencies, elected officials’ offices, and community-based organizations.
- Attend monthly Community Board General Meetings, recurring community meetings and other local meetings organized by local stakeholders on behalf of the Senator and provide succinct notes on key developments.
- Works flexible hours including evenings and weekends.
Key Abilities & Experience
- Previous casework experience
- Demonstrated commitment to bettering the material conditions of working-class New Yorkers in and beyond SD-59
- Exceptional attention to detail and time management skills; excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Research and decision-making skills, including the ability to proactively find solutions and work independently and collaborate across a small team.
- Demonstrated ability to think and plan strategically, especially in a fast-changing, often high stakes environment
- Comfort/experience with a public-facing position and the ability to work with basic office computer applications
- Ability to treat confidential information with appropriate discretion
- Comfort with representing the office at community events
- Knowledge of and familiarity with the diverse and urgent needs of a Triborough district
- Must live in New York State upon beginning of employment
Bonus points if you:
- Are a resident of SD-59
- Have speaking and/or writing knowledge of Spanish
- Are familiar with the needs of Northern Brooklyn, specifically Greenpoint & Williamsburg
Salary & Benefits
$63,000 per year for this full-time, overtime-exempt position. This position offers health, vision + dental insurance as well as a retirement plan. The position also comes with sick days, vacation days, and personal time, as well as state holidays.
Submit a 1-page resume, a 1-page cover letter, and names and contact information for three professional references to email@example.com with the subject line “Senior Caseworker and Constituent Services Liaison.” Please keep in mind that we are looking for cover letters that tell us in your own words why you are a great candidate for the job and do not simply repeat the information in your resume.
Due to the volume of applications, we will not be able to respond to each applicant. Applicants who advance to the first round of interviews will be notified on a rolling basis.
The Senate is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in accordance with its policy of non-discrimination on the basis of disability - as well as the 1990 Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), does not discriminate on the basis of disability with regard to employment. Women, people of color, LGBTIAQ2S+ folks highly encouraged to apply.