City Hall 300 Monroe NW Grand Rapids, MI
Intern - Paid
216 - 1123
11/15/2023 11:59 PM Eastern
Nature of Work
Police interns assist the sworn and civilian staff of the Grand Rapids Police Department and the community with a variety of law enforcement-related responsibilities. The work is performed under the direct supervision of a designated supervisor in the police department. This position involves daily customer service with citizens over the phone and in person at the department, report preparation of minor criminal police reports and minor accidents, clerical duties such as mail distribution, assisting with community tours of the department, and driving city-owned vehicles to various locations in the City at the direction of an immediate supervisor for supply and equipment support. This position offers interns the opportunity to conduct patrol ride-a-longs with sworn police officers.
Please note this is NOT a Summer Internship
Minimum Training and Experience
This position requires the following basic requirements:
- Must be enrolled as a student in a college or university of good standing and be at least 18 years age.
- A minimum of 9 credit hours shall be sustained per semester (excluding summers)
- Maintain a GPA of 2.0
- Possess a valid Michigan driver's license
- No history of felony convictions or convictions that prohibit ownership, possession, or control of a firearm.
The ability to read and understand departmental policies, rules, regulations, police literature, the ability to write clear and accurate reports, basic computer skills, and the desire to be part of an organization that values service, people, integrity, responsibility, innovation, and teamwork.
Other Necessary Qualifications
- Possess good moral character as determined by a favorable comprehensive background investigation covering school and employment record, personal traits, and integrity. (Arrests and expunged convictions, all previous law violations, and personal protection orders.) A poor driving record or misdemeanor convictions may negatively affect opportunity for employment.
- This position will be disqualified upon completion of an Under Graduate Degree or Master's Degree or failure to maintain current college enrollment.
- There is no requirement to major in Criminal Justice, all majors will be considered for this position. This position requires a minimum of an 18-hour work week and a maximum of a 24-hour work week.
Should an applicant need any disability related accommodation or other consideration in the application or selection process, please notify the human resources department upon submittal of application.
The City of Grand Rapids does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy or gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.