Student Support Specialist
Position located near IUPUI Campus! (position is part of the Community Work-study program at IUPUI)
This position is limited to IUPUI Student candidates with a Federal Work-Study award. To verify you have a Federal Work-Study award, please go to your One.IU.edu Account, Student Center, Financial Aid Summary. If you have an award, it will be listed with the rest of your financial aid (loans, grants, scholarships, etc.). You may also email the Office of Student Financial Services at firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire about eligibility.
Position Title: Student Support Specialist
Department: Special Education, Math, English, Science, Social Studies, Social
Hourly Wage: $20/hour Available: 15-20 hours weekly (based on your course
General Purpose: Indianapolis Metropolitan High School is a free public school
offering a high school education and is a best-fit school for students experiencing
circumstances that may present a barrier to education. We put emphasis on ensuring
students enroll in college or enter into a career that offers a living wage post-graduation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
● Expanding students' knowledge to learn key concepts in various high school
subjects, such as; Math, English, Science, Social Studies, and Social Emotional
● Review or explain content with them individually or in small groups
● Help students develop study skills, organization techniques, and social emotional
skills to help improve their academic performance
● Assist educators with administrative tasks of running a classroom such as writing
passes, filing papers, entering data.
Qualified applicants should…
● Possess knowledge of high school courses in core subject area(s) and have a
2.0 GPA or Higher
● Be familiar with or open to learning best practices in tutoring and academic
● Commit to providing students with both accountability and support.
● Be eligible for work study
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Gained in this Role:
Innovation-This position will teach students how to make decisions and use problem
solving skills while working in project groups.
Community Contributor- Builds community by helping students socially interact with
others to help the school culture by engaging and respecting others cultures.
Communicator- Will evaluate information about students performance in course work
to improve student performance by actively listening to course content