Exhibit Intern - Spring 2024
The Children’s Museum of Indianapolis seeks a highly motivated Exhibits Intern to join our Exhibits team. The intern will assist with the acquisition of community stories for the 100 Objects Exhibit. The Intern will be present for interviews with community members and keep detailed records of interview sessions.
The Children’s Museum is fiercely devoted to our Diversity, Equity, Accessibility, and Inclusion (DEAI) efforts. We cannot transform the lives of children and families unless we embrace all families. Together we are building and sustaining an inclusive culture that encourages, supports, and celebrates differences.
- Communicate via email and/or phone with community members to schedule interview sessions.
- Lead and conduct interview sessions with community members regarding each of the 100 objects chosen for the exhibit.
- Keep detailed records of each interview session, focusing on their personal connections and stories of each object.
- Work with exhibit developer to ensure the stories gathered are portrayed accurately in label copy for the exhibit.
- Interns will participate in museum professional development activities.
- Be actively pursuing a Bachelor’s degree (relevant fields include but are not limited to): Communications, Journalism, Public History, Museum Studies
- Demonstrate proficiency in communication, writing, and interview skills
- Have the ability to interact well with diverse audiences, effectively present information, and respond to questions.
- Comfort speaking in public and interacting with visitors of all ages.
- High School diploma or GED equivalent
- Must work a flexible weekday schedule Monday – Friday 9:00 am – 5:00 pm up to 20 hours per week
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment that values diversity and is child-centric.
- Interact with visitors and co-workers in a supportive, positive, and friendly manner.
- Maintain behavior patterns acceptable to co-workers and the general museum culture.
- Must be able to sit and use a computer for extended periods of time
- Must be able to engage in heavy verbal, electronic, and public presentation communication as well as present ideas and information to large audiences.