Government Relations Intern
Missouri NEA is affiliated with the 3 million-member National Education Association.
Our members are employed in public school districts across the state of Missouri, as well as state schools, community colleges, and university campuses. Missouri NEA also represents Aspiring Educators, who are students enrolled in higher education pursuing a degree in education, and MNEA-Retired, who are former school employees who have retired from a career in education.
The Missouri NEA is an advocate for public schools, public school students, and public school employees. Through various legal programs, MNEA protects the employment rights of our members. MNEA promotes and helps build support for public education, and offers a full program of professional development opportunities and resources for Missouri educators.
Missouri NEA Government Relations interns have a unique opportunity to gain experience in both legislative and electoral politics that support quality public education for Missouri’ students. The intern will have the opportunity to; hone research and writing skills, strengthen communication (including social media content creation) skills, work to address real-world issues involving education and labor issues.
Intern responsibilities include both legislative duties and political campaign duties:
- Attending Missouri General Assembly legislative committee hearings and floor debate,
- Writing summary briefs of hearings and floor debate
- Researching various issues for the staff, and assisting with additional office duties assigned by the office staff.
- Assisting in organizing member actions in support or opposition to legislation
- Developing and evaluating data and documents to support pro-public education and pro-labor candidates
- Working with staff on projects that assist MNEA members and affiliate staff on state legislative activity impacting educators and public education priorities.
Must be available in Jefferson City, Wednesdays from 8am to 5pm, other hours may be flexible and some may be remote. Stipend of $3000 for the semester.