Early Career Geological Engineer
We are a global leader in environmental consulting - made stronger with the recent acquisition of Wood’s Environment & Infrastructure business and Golder - with world-class expertise in environmental, social and governance (ESG), climate resiliency & sustainability (CRS), and earth sciences. Combined we have over 20,000 multidisciplinary professionals worldwide collaborating daily to protect and conserve natural landscapes, create firm foundations for communities to stand on, and champion sustainable development to combat climate change.
As part of the team, you will have access to an unparalleled network of resources and endless opportunities to collaborate on exciting projects with diverse teammates from across the globe.
WSP is currently initiating a search for an Early Career Geological Engineer for our Lakewood, CO office. Be involved in projects with our Earth & Environment Team and be a part of a growing organization that meets our client’s objectives and solves their challenges.
Working within our geohazards team on geotechnical and geological engineering projects for public and private clients on geohazard projects such as landslides, rockfall, debris flows, avalanche, karst and underground mine subsidence, etc.
- Perform engineering tasks such as:
- Geotechnical and geophysical field investigations
- Installing geotechnical instrumentation and analyzing instrumentation data such as piezometers, inclinometers, strain gauges, etc.
- Site and material characterization
- Rockfall, slope stability, and debris flow analysis and mitigation design
- Surface water and hydrologic analyses as pertaining to debris flows
- Processing and interpreting drone-based photogrammetry data
- Other geotechnical engineering design and analyses
- Preparing portions of technical reports that document field and laboratory investigations, engineering analyses, and engineering designs
- Assisting with the preparation of project design packages including technical drawings, specifications, project schedules, and cost estimates
- Comply with safety guidelines and site-specific procedures
- Opportunities to support other teams and business lines within the company
- Complete training on assigned tasks.
- Exercise responsible and ethical decision-making regarding company funds, resources and conduct, and adhere to WSP’s Code of Conduct and related policies and procedures.
- Perform additional responsibilities as required by business needs.
Who You Are
- Bachelor's degree in Geological Engineering, or related degree.
- Successful completion of the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam or the ability to complete the exam within 6 months of start date.
- 0 to 1 years of relevant post education experience.
- Strong analytical skills including the ability to complete engineering calculations and analyses.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work both independently and on teams.
- Comfortable working in remote settings.
- An active focus on health and safety for themselves and others.
- Basic proficiency with technical writing, office automation, software, spreadsheets, technology, and tools.
- Master's degree in geological engineering, or an equivalent field of study.
- Engineer in Training Certification.
- Preferred coursework includes Rock Mechanics, Soil Mechanics, Slope Stability and Stabilization, Geological Field Methods, Hydrology, and other relevant coursework.
- Prior internship related to the degree of study and the specific engineering discipline.
- Experience and or familiarity with discipline-specific software (i.e., AutoCAD and Civil 3D, Microstation, ArcGIS, Rocscience Software Suite, Slope/W, Flo-2D, RAMMs).
WSP provides a comprehensive suite of benefits focused on a providing health and financial stability throughout the employee’s career. These benefits include coverage related to medical, dental, vision, disability, and life; retirement savings; paid sick leave; paid vacation (or other personal time); paid parental leave; and paid time off for purposes of bereavement, voting, and/or attendance at naturalization proceedings.
Expected Salary (Colorado only): $53,200 - $89,900
WSP USA is providing the compensation range that the company in good faith believes it might pay and/or offer for this position within the state of Colorado, based on the successful applicant’s education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities in addition to internal equity and specific geographic location. WSP USA reserves the right to ultimately pay more or less than the posted range and offer additional benefits and other compensation, depending on circumstances not related to an applicant’s sex or other status protected by local, state, and/or federal law.