Part-time Research Tech
Hourly position is available in the laboratory of Dr. Waffo in the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology at the Indiana University School of Medicine.
The candidate’s duty will be to help facilitate ongoing research in the Waffo laboratory. This will consist of:
- checking inventory on a regular basis
- helping to maintain and update databases using Excel
- helping with the preparation of media and buffers for protein expression and purification
- ensuring that glassware is sterilized and cleaned
- helping to set up microtiter plates for screening experiments
- assisting in shipping materials to collaborators.
- It is expected that the applicant will devote at least 10 hours of their time per week to this position
- Candidates currently pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in science or other areas who are interested in this position are encouraged to apply.
Knowledge, Skills, Attributes:
- Candidates are expected to be able to pay attention to detail and to maintain a high level of professionalism, which includes excellent communication skills and the ability to work well with others.
- Through their work in this position, students will become acquainted with the following:
- Students will improve how they communicate by building relationships with supervisors and peers.
- Individuals in this position will improve their active listening, writing and problem solving sills.
- Students will learn how to work with cultured cells and animal tissues, perform experiments and analyze results by evaluating current procedures and determine effectiveness through the use of data and research.