2024 Summer Analyst Program: Operations - Tempe, AZ
Operations Summer Analyst – Tempe, AZ
** You must apply via external link Careers (myworkdayjobs.com) to be considered for this position **
**Optional Cover Letter - If you have a preference for a specific job placement group, please note so in your cover letter**
Discover your opportunity with Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group (MUFG), the 7th largest financial group in the world. Who knew? We’re large and across the globe with 160,000 colleagues strong. We strive to make a difference to every client, organization, and community we serve.
With a vision to be the world’s most trusted financial group, it’s part of our culture to put people first, listen to new and diverse ideas and collaborate toward greater innovation, speed, and agility. This means investing in talent, technologies, and tools that empower you to own your career.
Join MUFG, where being inspired is expected and making a meaningful impact is rewarded.
Our Operations for the Americas (Ops) group plays a major role in MUFG’s mission to become the world’s most trusted financial group. Nearly 1,000 colleagues are embedded in every business to support the bank's functions.
Join an Operations team where opportunities and internships can turn into full time work in Payment Operations, Commercial Loan Operations, Treasury & Derivative Operations, Business Process Management, Planning & Administration Services, or Trade Services. Come learn with us and shape your future!
About the Job
Our Operations team is one of the most multifaceted groups within the organization, with variable teams working on an extensive array of projects and engagement for Bank. As an Operations Summer Analyst, you could have the opportunity to reconcile the General Ledger, track cash flow or manage loans. Many of our Operations Summer Analysts learn project management skills as they help direct the operations of specific groups within the bank.
Please see our placements below to learn about some of the different groups you could be a part of this year.
About the Internship
Valuable Work Experience: Our 10-week summer program provides rising seniors and first year graduate students with hands-on experience and on-the-job learning within a high-paced banking environment. Summer Analysts work on projects and team assignments to build skills and technical expertise in the financial arena.
Networking Opportunities: MUFG’s Summer Analysts come from a wide variety of schools and backgrounds and are encouraged to collaborate with colleagues and senior leaders firmwide. Summer Analysts can meet and get to know our senior management as they broaden their understanding of the bank and its Operations and Technology functions.
Engaging Summer Program: Summer Analysts participate in various summer program activities that offer professional development and business exposure. Our program also offers guided mentorship throughout the summer through an assigned program mentor.
Explore Potential Roles and Functions: See first-hand what you thought you may want for a career is truly your passion. You’ll not just watch the work, you’ll participate. What a wonderful way to validate what you want to do for your next step.
- Must be a 2024 senior or first year graduate student, graduating in Winter 2024 or Spring 2025 from an accredited college or university.
- MUFG will not hire individuals for internships or entry-level positions whose work eligibility is based on their F-1 or other student visa status
- Must be authorized to work in the United States on a permanent basis and would not require visa sponsorship now, or in the future
- Eager to use computer skills and strong proficiency in Excel to research solutions to client problems through resolution.
- Exposure to process design/improvement, and/or change management disciplines and experience driving/supporting change initiatives is preferred.
- Strong analytical and research skills paying attention to every detail.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills.
Please see below for Potential Placement Groups
Possible Summer Internship Roles Include:
Commercial Loan Analyst: Member
- Individuals in the Corporate & Commercial Loan Reconciliation job function focus on accurate and timely reconciliation of commercial and corporate loans in the system of record. Responsibilities may include reconciling general ledger accounts; balancing bank-controlled demand deposit accounts (DDA); conducting monthly certification of general ledger balances in our system; of record monitoring and reporting on exceptions; and distributing exceptions to commercial loan processing teams.
Commercial Loan Analyst: Agency
- Individuals in the Syndicated Loan Servicing focus on tracking and managing syndicated lending transactions, with the bank as serving as either an administrative agent managing information and cash flow between borrowers and lender banks or a lender in a syndicated transaction or a bilateral deal lending directly to a borrower. Responsibilities may include generating invoices, syndicate activity notifications, reconciling general ledgers; supporting the streamlining and automation of loan settlement and servicing; preparing, reviewing, and managing loan documentation; and processing and closing loans.
Operations Analyst: ICU
- The analyst will create spreadsheets to analyze and report data and other information to provide business justification for proposals and to provide analysis of the results of implemented change. May be responsible for the resolution of business problems and questions from multiple sources, Credit/Debit/Prepaid Card products and operations (TSYS processing platform), Electronic payment processing (ACH, ATM and Wire Transfer), and provide analytical support and governance within the reconciliation process between the sub-ledger and general ledger.
Client Reporting Operations Summer Analyst
- The Summer Analyst will enter a rotational program and support a variety of generalist operations-based teams, including the Americas Contact Center, Tax, Unclaimed Property, and Quality Management. The Summer Analyst will learn the fundamentals about each business, and have exposure across all areas of the bank, as well as our main priority – our clients. During the rotational program, the Summer Analyst will gain knowledge about rules and regulations, such as the Foreign Account Tax and Compliance Act (FATCA), Federal Tax, Federal/State Escheatment Regulations, California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), and State and Local Tax (SALT). Furthermore, the Summer Analyst will develop and enhance critical skill-sets including Audit, Quality Assurance, Risk Management/Mitigation, Problem Solving, Process Improvement, Project Management, Customer Service, and Client Experience.
Payment Operations Specialist
- Data analysis in Operations will identify trends and opportunities for improvement within the Payment Operations organization. They will assist with process flows and help streamline existing processes to be more effective. Our summer interns will help monitor deliverables and projects related to risk and bank initiatives. This opportunity will be a valuable experience for any student pursuing a career in the financial services industry.
Business Compliance Analyst: Business Solutions Team
- Gain exposure to developing Business Analyst and Project Management skills, along with Compliance and Payments knowledge. They will assist BST Compliance team who specifically acts as the bridge between operations and GFCD, specifically supporting six areas of compliance related matters: Data Privacy, Data Quality Management, Know Your Customer (KYC), Transaction Filtering, and Transaction Monitoring, Fraud. This role will provide direct support for the Business Solution Core Banking Payments, Deposits, Loans, Treasury, Trade systems specific to the Global Financial Crime Global Consolidation program with the AML Compliance expertise. Business analyst activities include business requirement gathering, operations workflow analysis, test planning, creation, scheduling, and execution. This opportunity will be a valuable experience for any student pursuing a career in the financial services industry.
Trade Finance Summer Analyst: Business Solutions Team
- This Summer Analyst position will provide an excellent opportunity to gain exposure to developing Business Analyst and Project Management skills, along with Trade Finance Product knowledge. They will assist in facilitating Business Analyst and Project Management activities for bank operations driven initiatives supported by the Business Solutions Team. Some of the project management responsibilities will include task creation, scheduling, resource management, progress monitoring, defect management and management reporting. Business analyst activities include business requirement gathering, operations workflow analysis, test planning, creation, scheduling, and execution. This opportunity will be a valuable experience for any student pursuing a career in the financial services industry.
Operations Risk and Control Governance Analyst
- In this role, the Analyst will have the opportunity to interact with colleagues within Americas Risk Management and the Lines of Business and Products Owners while rotating through activities in their assigned area of a given risk discipline. With the goal of learning the components of the MUFG Risk Framework and how it is implemented within the Bank to effectively assess, monitor, and control risk. Assist the team in pulling data for reporting, documenting processes the team is taking on, and assist with RCSA QA work, issue management, and metrics.
Payment, Capital Markets Risk and Control Team Analyst
- In this role, the Analyst will have the opportunity to interact with colleagues within Americas Risk Management and the Lines of Business and Products Owners while rotating through activities in their assigned area of a given risk discipline. With the goal of learning the components of the MUFG Risk Framework and how it is implemented within the Bank to effectively assess, monitor, and control risk. This includes risk and control reporting, risk awareness execution, control uplift, and issue management
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and strongly committed to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion leveraging the diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and experience of our workforce to create opportunities for our colleagues and our business.
We do not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, religion, gender expression, gender identity, sex, age, ancestry, marital status, protected veteran and military status, disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other status of an individual or that individual’s associates or relatives that is protected under applicable federal, state, or local law.