Student Trainee (Program Analyst/Data Analytics)
The Office of Personnel Management (OPM) invites students to apply to our Intern positions. The ideal candidates are current Graduate students who demonstrate innovation and self-initiative. You will have an opportunity to train and develop your skills in career fields such as human resources, policy, healthcare, insurance, retirement, or information technology and have a positive impact on the people and communities that OPM serves.
This job is open to
Clarification from the agency
This is a temporary - full- or part-time Intern position.
What You May Be Doing:
As a Student Trainee, you will have the opportunity to participate in a variety of tasks and projects. Some of the responsibilities you may undertake include:
- Conduct literature reviews and fact-finding efforts to support OPM data analysis, research, and evaluation activities.
- Develop study designs and plans for proposed research and evaluation efforts.
- Identify methods for enhancing data collection and reporting processes.
- Clean and analyze quantitative data, including performance data, survey data, workforce data, and complex administrative data.
- Clean and analyze qualitative data to identify key themes.
- Visualize data in Excel, R, Power BI, or other software.
- Create reports, interactive dashboards, or presentations using business intelligence tools and statistical software to make large and complex datasets more understandable, accessible, and usable.
- Summarize literature in traditional academic formats, memos, or briefs.
- Prepare reports, presentations, and publishable articles to disseminate study findings.
- Interpret findings and make recommendations for addressing operational and programmatic challenges.
- Catalog research articles, reports, and other resources in online repositories.
- Develop or maintain SharePoint sites.
The Skills to be Successful as a Student Trainee:
To excel as a Student Trainee, you should possess the following skills and qualities:
- Ability to work smart, driving projects, meeting deadlines, and achieving goals.
- Proactive nature and bias for action.
- Attention to detail, precision, and ability to handle tasks with high accuracy.
- Flexibility, creativity, curiosity, and willingness to take initiative.
- Quick and adaptable learner, comfortable with ambiguity and dynamic change.
- Ability to inspire trust, build relationships quickly, and earn the confidence and cooperation of business partners.
- High standards, integrity, and ethics.
What We're Looking For:
To be considered for the Student Trainee position, you should meet the following criteria:
- Currently enrolled in an educational institution.
- Strong team player while also demonstrating independent thinking.
- Ability to work under deadlines, organize tasks, and multitask effectively.
- Robust analytical skill set.
- Strong verbal, written, and presentation skills.
- Endless curiosity and a penchant for thinking outside the box.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software products.
- Attentive to team needs, providing rapid and high-quality responsiveness to requests.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, maintaining rapport with team members and professionalism with others outside of the team.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, demonstrating a professional demeanor and the ability to interact with others with discretion and tact.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Capable of identifying and completing tasks independently, with a sense of urgency and ownership.
- Demonstrated success in maintaining high personal work standards.
- Ability to handle sensitive information with discretion and tact.
- Strong presentation skills to audiences comprising all levels of leadership.
- Highly motivated and self-starter, able to work autonomously and effectively drive forward the work assigned.
If you possess these skills and qualities, we encourage you to apply for this exciting Student Trainee opportunity.
This job will close when we have received 300 applications which may be sooner than the closing date. Learn more