Financial Compliance Audit Intern - Summer 2024
Who We Are:
The Legislative Audit Division (LAD), part of the Montana State Legislative Branch, is constitutionally tasked with auditing State agencies and programs. Our mission is to increase public trust in state government by reporting timely and accurate information about agency operations, technology, and finances.
What You’ll Do:
As a Financial Compliance Audit Intern, you will spend each day a little differently. You will help us achieve our mission through a variety of financial and compliance audit work such as:
· Interviewing personnel at the audited agency
· Testing controls and account balances
· Using analytics to evaluate transaction cycles
· Coming to conclusions on assigned audit work
· Working collaboratively with team members
· Testing compliance with federal regulations and state laws
Why You Want to Work Here:
The salary for an intern is $20.00 an hour, but not all benefits can be quantified. At LAD, we are an office of people with policies designed for people. Non-financial benefits include:
· 40-hour work weeks – with compensatory time earned for additional hours worked
· Flexible work schedules:
o Set your own hours between 6 am and 6 pm
o Ability to work from home up to 3 days per week
o Ability to work non-contiguous hours to accommodate families, activities, and commitments outside of work
· Flexible time-off policy
· Focus on continual learning & support
· Work that matters! You will contribute to improving the efficiency and effectiveness of state government operations, which has the potential to affect every Montana citizen.
What You Need:
A successful candidate:
§ is working towards obtaining a bachelor’s degree
§ has obtained, or is enrolled to obtain by the end of the current academic year, 6 semester hours (or equivalent quarter hours) of relevant upper division accounting coursework
§ demonstrates analytical and critical thinking skills
§ has sound written and verbal communication skills
§ has ability to work well independently and within a team setting
§ has good interpersonal skills
Where You’ll Work:
Our office is located in Helena, the capital of Montana and the center of state government. Helena is a charming historic town with a thriving arts community and all the great things Montana has to offer. You will have easy access to trails for hiking and mountain biking, rivers and lakes for fishing and navigating, and country clubs for golfing. Venture out a bit more and you’ll find state parks, public lands, majestic national parks, and plenty of opportunities for activities year-round.
While your desk will be located in the beautiful State Capital Building, you will perform a lot of your work in agency buildings located in the capital building complex and around Helena. You will occasionally travel for agencies outside of Helena, such as the universities.
This position is eligible for telework up to 3 days per week.
How To Join Our Team:
You will apply for this position on the State of Montana careers webpage, StateCareers.mt.gov. Your resume is required to be uploaded there. If you have additional information you would like us to know, please include it in a cover letter and upload it as well. When you are chosen to interview for this position, we will ask you to provide unofficial college transcripts and at least 3 references we can contact.
The Fine Print:
· Although you’ll have the ability to work from home some days, this is not a remote position and employees are required to live near Helena for in-person work.
· If invited to join our team, we are required to run a criminal records background check on you.
· Additionally, we think you should know LAD employees and members of their household are not permitted to participate in any lottery game affiliated with the Montana State Lottery. Just a heads up!
We are excited to meet you!