Internship – Livestock Procurement
Summer Internship - Livestock Procurement
Indiana Packers Corporation - Delphi, Indiana
Indiana Packers Corporation (IPC), a dynamic pork processor based in Delphi, Indiana, is seeking a motivated Animal Science, Agra-Business student for a summer internship in 2024. This summer intern will report to V.P. Livestock Procurement. This position will allow the candidate to observe and participate in procurement activities. Those areas of focus are Livestock Procurement (plant/hog buying), Oracle Pork (Live Production) and OP-Nutrition, LLC (Feed Mill operations).
Live Procurement at Indiana Packers Corp., Delphi, IN.
- Understand company policies and procedures as they relate to business units
- Assist in scheduling of animals to the IPC plant
- Participate in the movement of hogs in plant and learn tasks required for traceability
Oracle Pork in Delphi, IN. (Travel surrounding areas)
- Meet growers and gain understanding of their responsibilities for performance
- Receive wean pigs, grade, mark, sort, and load market hogs
- Review records at farm for accuracy for closeout
- Travel with veterinarians, post pigs, collect samples of submission and review diagnostic reports
- Good Production Practices and biosecurity are followed at farm level
OP-Nutrition, LLC. In Peru, IN.
- Gain understanding ingredient receiving, batching, mixing, pellet process
- Ingredient and feed ordering process
- Understand mill operating system
- Responsible for upholding IPC image and promoting it inside and outside the organization.
- Responsible for submitting all records and reports to the appropriate destination in a prompt and timely basis.
- Full-time college student, major in an agricultural related field at a regionally accredited university
- Candidates must have a strong work ethic
- Able to lift 50#
- Detail oriented and have excellent organizational skills
- Must be able to meet established timelines
- Must demonstrate leadership, professionalism, confidentiality
- Good communicator, both verbal and in writing, enjoy people.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, and governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valued conclusions. Provide critical thinking to process for improvements.
Other Skills and Abilities:
- PC Skills including spread sheets and document software usage.
- Understanding of the requirement of IPC operations.
- Animal Welfare Certified (PQA-Plus).
- Transport Quality Assurance Certified (TQA).
Will provide an opportunity to visit IPC processing companies in Kentucky and Michigan.
- Provide a presentation of the three divisions, tasks learned, important skills executed, accomplishments and suggestions for improvement. Insight into integrated production process and how you the candidate would be a nice fit in the department.
Upon completion the candidate will have a good understanding of plant procurement operations and functions as well as live production system flows and health. Nutrition and milling operations and benefits of mill costs and performance. Industry exposure to veterinarians, animal health and nutrition companies. This will be a very broad experience consisting of approximately 1 month in each division.
Summer: 2024 Internship
May 20, 2024, >> Aug. 14, 2024 [12-weeks]
Applicants: incoming Junior, Senior or May graduate
Have vehicle for transportation to assigned locations
Applications will be accepted until: February 24, 2024
FLSA Status: Salaried Exempt
OUR COMPANY: INDIANA PACKERS CORPORATION
Indiana Packers Corporation (IPC) is a fully integrated retail, food service and private label producer of fresh and processed meats company. IPC is majority owned, by Mitsubishi Corporation, Japan's largest trading company with more than 60,000 team members. As a company, we are growing; in the past five years, we've grown by more than 50% to almost 3,000 team members with 4 primary processing facilities. We've done this through a series of acquisitions and "green field" startups.
OUR COMMUNITY: GREATER LAFAYETTE, INDIANA
Lafayette/West Lafayette, Indiana is in a prime location with easy and quick access to Chicago, Illinois and Indianapolis, Indiana. The area is home to Purdue University, ranked as the fifth best public university in the country according to the Wall Street Journal (2019). Two of the top five high schools in the state are located here, helping to fuel a great place to live for our team members with families. With an abundance of strong educational systems and a less than average cost of living, there is a lot to like about the area.
The city has also been recognized by Forbes Magazine as the #2 Small City for Business and careers. With a combined population of roughly 150,000, Lafayette/West Lafayette offers metropolitan amenities while maintaining its small-town charm. If you enjoy a larger city experience, you can be in downtown Indianapolis in an hour and downtown Chicago in two hours!
Indiana Packers Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and values diversity. Our EOE policy not only prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any protected category under state, local or federal law, but also reflects our commitment to making all employment decisions without regard to an individual's membership in a protected class. This policy relates to all phases of employment, including, but not limited to, recruiting, employment, placement, promotion, transfer, demotion, termination, rates of pay and other forms of compensation, selection for training, the use of all facilities, and participation in company-sponsored employee activities. As part of its equal opportunity policy, we also take affirmative action in accordance with applicable laws to ensure that women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities have opportunities to join and progress within the Company.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.