Qualified Craft Worker (Plumbing and Steamfitting) (37.5 Hour)
Are you looking to take your career to the next level? We’re looking to fill a Qualified Craft Worker (Plumbing and Steamfitting) to join our Team and if you’re looking to join state service, we encourage you to explore this opportunity and apply today!
The State of Connecticut, Department of Emergency Services & Public Protection (DESPP) is seeking to fill one Qualified Craft Worker (Plumbing and Steamfitting) position in our Facilities Operations Unit in Meriden, Connecticut.
The DESPP Facilities Operations Unit provides effective and efficient planning, management, maintenance, and operation for all facilities. This position is full-time on first shift, 37.5 hours per week, Monday through Friday from 7:30 AM until 3:30 PM and is be based out of 294 Colony Street in Meriden but can be used statewide for all DESPP facilities. The Facilities Operations Unit operates from the Mulcahy Complex located in Meriden and travels throughout the state to service over 70 buildings on 27 sites.
Current P1 or P2 license in State of Connecticut may be required.
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
- The chance to work for a Forbes top company: State of Connecticut Ranked One of the Best Employers of 2023 - State of CT Receives National Recognition for Offering Job Growth, Competitive Benefits, and Flexible Schedule;
- Generous paid time off (vacation, sick and personal);
- A Platinum Healthcare Plan, the nation’s best for state employees and dependents, according to a report by Georgetown’s Center on Health Insurance Reform and article by Ellen Andrews, Ph.D., along with comprehensive benefit offerings;
- A complete pension plan (State Employees Retirement System Tier IV).
In addition, the State puts an emphasis on:
- Providing limitless opportunities;
- Hiring for diversity and fresh perspectives;
- Performing meaningful work and;
- Encouraging a healthy work/life balance!
As a Qualified Craft Worker (Plumbing and Steamfitting), some of the key responsibilities on the position include but are not limited to:
- Repair of critical systems such as drinking (potable) piping distribution/pumping, hot water heating, steam distribution piping, drain (sanitary) piping, macerator (grinding, and pumping; cross connection (back flow prevention), cell fixtures (toilets, sinks and showers);
- Leading assigned staff to complete tasks/projects;
- Keeping records of tool/inventory control;
- Snow and Ice Removal from Nov.1 to April 15 annually (Mandatory). This requires being called in after hours and may require multiple days per event. As an essential employee attendance is required even if the state is closed by the Governor;
- Assisting other team members as needed;
- Availability for emergency and scheduled before/after hour work including being called in at early/late hours;
- Other related duties.
The Connecticut Department of Emergency Services & Public Protection (DESPP) is committed to protecting and improving the quality of life for all by providing a broad range of public safety services, training, regulatory guidance and scientific services utilizing enforcement, prevention, education and state of the art science and technology.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Four (4) years of experience in the particular trade area indicated by the parenthetical title.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
Two (2) years of the General Experience must have been performing skilled trade functions in the specific trade area.
Note: For State Employees, this is interpreted at the level of Skilled Maintainer or Transportation Maintainer 2.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
1. Graduation from a vocational or technical school with a diploma designating completion of subject requirements in a maintenance trade area may be substituted for two (2) years of the General Experience.
2. Two (2) years of experience as a Qualified Craft Worker Intern in a designated maintenance trade area may be substituted for the General and Special Experience.
3. Experience performing technical duties within a designated maintenance trade area on a military base, aircraft carrier or large compound may be substituted for the General and Special Experience on a year for year basis.