Fall Intern - Nonfiction Publishing
Fellowship Award Amount: up to $1,800
Internship Time Commitment: Fall Quarter ( 9 weeks; 8-12 hours per week)
This internship is a paid opportunity for all current Odyssey Scholars or Merit Scholars
- This position is Grant Eligible for students who are not Odyssey Scholars and can apply to secure funds through an internship grant. Click here for a list of available grants.
- Students from other selective career cohorts, and merit award recipients may be eligible to receive funding for this opportunity. If you’ve received an internship offer for this opportunity, please inform your Career Advancement adviser/career cohort program coordinator to review funding eligibility before accepting an offer.
Please make sure that if selected for an interview, you communicate to your prospective host organization/employer where you will be physically located during the internship as your location may affect your (or your host organization/employer’s) ability to pursue this opportunity.
If you are an international student, please make sure to visit the OIA website to familiarize yourself with your work authorization eligibility and requirements as soon as possible. If you’d like to make an appointment with your international adviser, please visit this page.
Hachette Book Group is offering a internship to a student interested in a career in book publishing, working with multiple departments of the same imprint group, Hachette Books and Hachette Go, to get a rounded well-overview of how multiple departments function together as a whole. This position will work with leaders from marketing, publicity, editorial, and art to take on projects that are key to individual book campaigns and larger season-wide initiatives. The intern will also have the chance to meetings in all areas of focus to get a first-hand look at process and decision making.
Who you are:
- Self-starter with strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
- Enthusiastic and excited about nonfiction publishing
- Possess a great attitude and a desire to learn as well as excellent organizational skills
- Ability to work collaboratively with a team and contribute insights
- Resourceful with the ability to balance multiple responsibilities and work independently
- Must be results driven, and take appropriate steps to achieve goals while taking ownership of situations as needed
- Proficient in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Adobe Creative experience a plus, but not required
What you will learn:
- Assist with galley and review copy mailings for Fall and Winter titles
- Update publicity and marketing databases, and work to develop additional contact lists
- Create marketing letters and assist with finished copy mailings
- Collaborate on social media content on author and official imprint outlets
- Read editorial submissions and offer feedback to editors
- Contribute on fact sheet copy
- Work with art department on rights clearances
- General administrative duties
How to apply:
In order to be considered, all candidates must submit both a resume AND cover letter. Your cover letter should specify your interest in Hachette Books, nonfiction publishing, as well as your desire to learn how multiple imprint departments operate together.