Accountant (HC & RM) (Rock Island, IL)
We are seeking driven, high-performing teammates, and we will provide opportunities to apply your talent to make a positive difference through meaningful work. You’ll also learn and grow through a structured but flexible two-year developmental program that accounts for your existing knowledge, skills, behaviors, and preferences and for your career field’s professional competencies.
This position is part of the Army Fellows Program and is a CIVILIAN position with the Department of the Army.
The Army Fellows Program is a two-year fellowship as a federal civilian. We hire fellows as permanent, full-time employees with full pay and benefits. Guaranteed placement is offered after the fellowship for those who meet requirements.
In this role you will
- Assist in preparing, analyzing, interpreting, and presenting accounting data.
- Assist in operating, maintaining, and modifying accounting systems.
- Assist in designing, implementing, and assessing internal control processes and systems.
- Utilize accounting information to recommend solutions to management controls.
Who May Apply: US Citizens
In order to qualify, you must meet the education and/or experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application.
Basic Requirement for an Accountant:
A. Degree: Bachelor's degree (or higher degree) in accounting; or a degree in a related field such as business administration, finance, or public administration that included or was supplemented by 24 semester hours in accounting. The 24 hours may include up to 6 hours of credit in business law. Degree must be completed by May 2024. (Note: You must attach a copy of your transcripts.)
B. Combination of Education and Experience: Must include at least 4 years of experience in accounting, or an equivalent combination of accounting experience, college-level education, and training that provided professional accounting knowledge. The applicant's background must also include one of the following:
(1) Twenty-four semester hours in accounting or auditing courses of appropriate type and quality. This can include up to 6 hours of business law; OR
(2) A certificate as Certified Public Accountant or a Certified Internal Auditor, obtained through written examination; OR
(3) Completion of the requirements for a degree that included substantial course work in accounting or auditing, e.g., 15 semester hours, but that does not fully satisfy the 24-semester-hour requirement of paragraph A, provided that (a) the applicant has successfully worked at the full-performance level in accounting, auditing, or a related field, e.g., valuation engineering or financial institution examining; AND (b) a panel of at least two higher level professional accountants or auditors has determined that the applicant has demonstrated a good knowledge of accounting and of related and underlying fields that equals in breadth, depth, currency, and level of advancement that which is normally associated with successful completion of the 4-year course of study described in paragraph A; AND (c) except for literal nonconformance to the requirement of 24 semester hours in accounting, the applicant's education, training, and experience fully meet the specified requirements.
In addition to meeting the basic requirement above, to qualify for this position you must also meet the qualification requirements listed below:
Specialized Experience: One year of specialized experience which includes assisting in interpreting accounting data; or, assisting in maintaining accounting systems; or, analyzing accounting information for solutions; or, assisting in assessing internal control processes and systems. This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the second lower grade/level position in the federal service (GS-05).
Education: One full year of graduate level education in a field which demonstrates the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to do the work of the position, such as: accounting or auditing.