Housing Rehabilitation Specialist I
Nature of Work
The purpose of this job is to conduct technical home inspections and write project specifications. Documents and oversees home repairs for low income home owners, landlords, and non-profit housing agencies.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by employees in this job. Employees may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
- Reviews project applications to determine income eligibility and property ownership, and conducts other verification work as needed
- Conducts technical inspections of owner and rental residential properties, ensures compliance with structural, mechanical, health, safety codes and standards
- Identifies deficiencies; makes referrals to other departments and community agencies when appropriate
- Prepares bid documents, drafts project specifications in compliance with code and other requirements, estimates construction costs, and prepares necessary documentation. Ensures project specifications include hazard remediation work (e.g. lead, asbestos, radon, mold, etc.) in compliance with federal and state lead hazard control requirements
- Oversees housing rehabilitation and hazard remediation work, conducts site inspections, approves payment based on progress, recommends contract change orders, and mediates disputes between homeowners/tenants and contractors
- Prepares reports and other documentation on the progress of the rehabilitation activities
- Conducts Healthy Home Rating Assessment
- Performs related work as required
View the complete job description HERE.
Minimum Training and Experience
Required Education and Experience
- At least two (2) years of relevant college-level course work or an Associate’s degree from an accredited college or university in construction or a related field
- At least three (3) to five (5) years of related work experience, such as housing rehabilitation or construction
- Any equivalent combination of training, education, and experience that provides the required skills, knowledge and abilities
Required Licenses or Certifications
- Michigan Driver’s License
- Healthy Homes Rating System Certification within twelve (12) month of hire