Aquatic Invasive Species Technician
The Wyoming Game and Fish Department is seeking to hire multiple Aquatic Invasive Species Technicians throughout the state. These positions range in duration from 3 to 4 months. Technicians will inspect watercraft at key locations around the state in an effort to prevent the introduction and spread of aquatic invasive species and participate in outreach and education efforts to inform the general public about the impacts of aquatic invasive species.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: The listed functions are illustrative only and are not intended to describe every function which may be performed at the job level.
- Duties may include conducting watercraft inspections and decontamination.
- Interview boaters at watercraft check stations.
- Provide outreach information and assistance to the boating public.
- Water quality and invasive species sampling, data entry, and equipment maintenance.
Preference will be given to those with a high school degree and customer service experience or experience related to fish and wildlife resource management, or college coursework towards a degree in fishery or wildlife management, ichthyology, or other closely related fields. Preference may be given to candidates with experience in the operation of watercraft, 4x4 vehicles, and/or hauling trailers.
**Must have a valid driver's license.
- Must be able to work well independently with minimal supervision and also able to work well with others on a crew.
- Requires a flexible schedule and works up to 12 hours per day or split shifts.
- Requires effective communication and public relations skills in daily interactions with the public.
- Ability to enter and manage data using various devices.
None - See "Preferences"
Necessary Special Requirements
PHYSICAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Weekend and holiday work will be required.
- Some positions may require extended stays (4 days) in campers at various statewide locations.
- Positions require completion of inspector training course and certification provided by the Department.
- FLSA: Non-exempt
- Successful applicants for employment must pass a background check prior to the appointment.
- Tentative start date is August 16, 2023. Certain locations have flexibility in start/end dates.
- Locations include: Casper, Cheyenne, Evanston, Glendo, and Torrington. Additional locations may be included should additional vacancies occur.
- Department lodging may be provided for nights between shifts in select locations.
- Please attach a cover letter to the online state application. The cover letter should include career plans, suitability for the job, as well as dates of availability (starting and ending dates are particularly important).
- CONTACT: For more information regarding these positions, contact Josh Leonard, AIS Coordinator, 307-721-1374, email@example.com.