For Elementary Education, Early Childhood, or Other Education Majors only.
The Center for Young Children is seeking a part-time Classroom Assistant to support the Lead Teacher and Assistant Teacher in working with children ages 6 weeks to 5 years in one of 14 classrooms. Generally, shifts for student employees would include hours to either open classrooms (7:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m.) cover staff lunch breaks (12:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.) or close classrooms (3:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.) any day Monday through Friday. The shifts we select will be based on student-employee availability and the employee schedule will be set for per semester.
This job requires a minimum of 10 hours and a maximum of 29 hours weekly.
Our ideal candidate will:
- Have either formal or informal training working with children (i.e. babysitting, volunteering in a church daycare, etc.)
- Be consistently punctual and present when scheduled
- With the exception of those in student housing, must be able to work during at least two campus breaks (e.g. fall, winter or spring)
- Be interested in working with children of different ages in a way that will further their career
- Show sensitivity to children's individual needs;
- Demonstrate evidence of sufficient emotional and social maturity and stability to function responsibly in a crisis or stressful situation;
- Demonstrate an "all hands-on deck" spirit;
Fingerprints, secondary background check, drug screen, TB test, and physical will be required, if hired.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Actively supervise, assist and engage with children during indoor and outdoor activities;
- Communicate openly and positively with children at their level;
- Follow the direction of the Lead Teacher and/or Assistant Teacher collaborating as a team ensure State and Center learning and safety requirements are met/exceeded at all times;
- Assist with serving daily meals, sanitizing classrooms and bathroom hygiene routines updating the center’s childcare application program throughout the day.