Finance Professional Tutor
University of Maryland Global Campus (UMGC) seeks a part-time Finance Tutor to provide online tutoring support to undergraduate and graduate students. Tutoring is offered in a variety of ways, including visual conferencing via Zoom sessions, which students can attend, and real-time audio and live chat sessions using the Tutor.com platform, which students can access from their classrooms.
COURSES TO BE SUPPORTED UNDER THIS POSITION:
- MBA 620 | FINC 330 | FINC 331 | FINC 340 | MGMT 640
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE UMGC STATISTICS TUTOR INCLUDE:
- Provide support as a finance tutor to undergraduate and graduate students enrolled in UMGC courses.
- Respond to students’ questions and concerns related to finance courses and their assigned readings, projects, or homework assignments.
- Provide group tutoring sessions via Zoom to explain key concepts and models related to finance and Microsoft Excel and answer common questions.
- Provide clarifications, examples, and tutorials that support the student in developing a problem-solving strategy and authentic learning.
- Collaborate with the manager of subject tutoring services and other finance tutors to coordinate group sessions, one-on-one sessions, and do other related administrative tasks.
- Be available a minimum of ten hours each week and a maximum of nineteen hours per week.
- Create supplemental material for students.
- Promote a professional, respectful, and safe online learning environment.
- Work more closely with English language learners.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, EDUCATION, AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree in finance, financial management, or a related field
- Familiarity with financial statements and ratios
- In depth knowledge of Microsoft Excel in the use of basic and financial functions
- Good organizational, interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills in English
- Ability to work closely with students to ensure student success
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Background in teaching, tutoring, and/or other type of learning support experience initiatives is highly considered but not required
- Professional background in finance
- Familiarity with TI 83/84 graphing calculator
WHO WE ARE AND WHO WE SERVE
UMGC—one of 11 degree-granting institutions in the University System of Maryland (USM)—is a mission-driven institution with seven core values that guide us in all we do. At the top of the list is "Students First," and we strive to do just that for our 90,000 students at home and abroad. From its start in 1947, UMGC has demonstrated its commitment to adult learners. We recognize that adult students need flexibility and options. UMGC is proud to be a global, 24-hour, institution of higher learning. The typical UMGC student is an adult learner juggling a career, family, and other priorities. Roughly 80% work full time, half are parents, and half are minority students. They are continuing their education to better themselves, their families, and their professional opportunities. UMGC is also a leading higher education provider to the U.S. military, enrolling 55,000 active-duty service members, reservists, National Guard members, veterans, and family members annually. We are proud of our military heritage and are committed to this service.
POSITION AVAILABLE AND WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED
All submissions should include a cover letter and a résumé.
University of Maryland Global Campus (UMGC) is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination. UMUG is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, ancestry, political affiliation or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.