Sales Development Representative
FreeWill is an award-winning, social-good startup that has partnered with 1200+ nonprofits who support our mission while raising more than $7.8B in bequests to charities since we were founded in 2017. We’ve been featured in the New York Times, Forbes, Oprah’s magazine, and our co-CEOs have even been named to Town & Country’s “Top 50 Philanthropists” list.
All of this is because we’ve figured out how to make some powerful (but complicated!) ways to donate much easier and more accessible. Our products make things easier for the donors who want to change the world and for nonprofits doing heroic work around the planet.
In the last 6 years, we’ve grown from 5 people to 175+ (all smart, tenacious, and kind), and continue to grow. We’d love to have you be a part of this adventure. Check us out on Glassdoor!
Full-time • Excellent Benefits • Work from Anywhere in the US (except CO, AL, or LA)
About the Role
As a Sales Development Representative (SDR), you will be responsible for generating and qualifying leads to support the sales team in achieving revenue targets. Your primary focus will be on prospecting, outbound lead generation, and initiating contact with potential FreeWill partners. You will play a crucial role in the sales process by identifying qualified opportunities and passing them on to the appropriate account executives. The SDR role requires excellent communication skills, a strong work ethic, and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced, target-driven environment.
This role will need to work during general business hours which is typically 9-5pm EST or 7-3pm PST.
FreeWill has set compensation and a non-negotiation policy for fairness reasons (we don't think that an individual's pay should be determined by how comfortable they are negotiating). As a result, we like to be transparent and up front about the compensation. The offer for this role will be a base salary of $60,000 and potential commission of $4,000 for a total OTE of $64,000.
- Build your own non-profit prospect lists from an assigned account territory (i.e. universities, animal shelters, faith based organizations, etc.) based on our ideal customer profiles
- Initiate contact with prospects through high-volume phone calls, emails, and other communication channels to educate them about FreeWill, generate interest, and identify opportunities for further engagement
- Schedule discovery meetings for the sales team with interested prospects, ensuring a smooth handover of information
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date records of all interactions and prospect information in the customer relationship management (CRM) system
- Demonstrate a thorough knowledge of the FreeWill product and value proposition
- Collaborate closely with account executives to align on target accounts and optimize the sales process
- Meet or exceed assigned targets for lead generation
- Ability to work independently, set ambitious targets, and consistently achieve or exceed goals.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to engage, persuade, and build rapport with prospects
- Strong organizational and time management skills to handle multiple priorities with attention to detail
- Some experience with, or strong willingness to learn, sales databases and tools (such as Hubspot, Salesforce, and Sales Navigator)
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and adapt quickly to changing priorities and ever-growing sales team
- Collaborative mindset with a willingness to work closely with the sales team members & consistently engage with potential partners
- Previous experience in sales, lead generation, or customer-facing roles is advantageous but not mandatory. Those with a passion for sales and a strong desire to learn are also encouraged to apply.
The hiring process for this role is as follows:
- Recruiter Phone Screen (30 minutes)
- Work Sample (on your own time; 45 minutes maximum)
- Mock Call (30 minutes)
- Final interviews with 2 FreeWill team members (2 separate 30 minute interviews)
- Offer (contingent on positive references and a clear background check. More can be found about this here)
Please note that steps in the hiring process can and may change and the Recruiter will be your point of contact in sharing about any updates in terms of the process. If you are selected to move forward in this process, the Recruiter will share more details about the hiring process and interviewers. However, this is a good estimate of what you can expect. For most roles, our hiring processes take an average of 4-6 weeks.
In addition to the immense personal and professional satisfaction you’ll gain from helping to raise $1T for high impact nonprofits in a kind and joyful work environment, full time employees at FreeWill are eligible for the following benefits:
- Work from home
- Unlimited PTO
- Flexible hours
- Competitive salary
- Commuter benefits
- Company stock options
- Medical/Dental/Vision (some single coverage medical plans are 100% employer paid, subsidized rates for spousal, parent-child, and family coverage)
- Short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Life and AD&D insurance
- Free One Medical membership
- Paid parental leave for all parents
- Fully paid trips, such as an annual work retreat in a relaxing location
- Regular (virtual) team events
- $250 monthly co-working budget which can be used for local co-working spaces (for team members located outside of the NYC metro only).
- $300 annual budget to outfit your home office or cover utility bills
- $1,000 referral bonuses for growing our FreeWill community
- $1,000 annual professional development budget
FreeWill is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. We are committed to finding talent that is not determined on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are a remote-first company that’s able to hire in 47 states and D.C. Unfortunately, we are unable to hire in Colorado, Alabama, or Louisiana at this time. We also can’t sponsor working visas, so all applicants will need to have work authorization in the US.
Don’t check off every box in the requirements listed above? Please apply anyway! Studies have shown that marginalized communities - such as women, LGBTQ+ and people of color - are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. FreeWill is dedicated to building an inclusive, diverse, equitable, and accessible workplace that fosters a sense of belonging – so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to still consider submitting an application. You may be just the right candidate for this role or another one of our openings!