Data Scientist / Software Engineer Internship
ORTEC has internship opportunities on our teams in Houston & Atlanta. As an intern, you will be responsible for assisting our consultants in finding and successfully implementing creative solutions to challenges faced by some of the most iconic businesses in the world, including Kraft, Tyson, Procter & Gamble, Georgia Pacific and Clorox. Using what you have learned in your studies so far, you will help with building and/or implementing applications and supporting team on their projects. This position could lead to full time employment with ORTEC after you complete your degree requirements.
About The Team
Data Science & Consulting/ Continuous Improvement
Interns will work on building solutions for customers related to the following specialties. Please give more detail in your answers of which specialty/specialties you are most interested in, but note that they all have a lot of overlap. Interns can be based in Atlanta, Houston, or remote. Experience with Python preferred.
• Data Scientist: Create, test, and finetune data science models that use predictive and prescriptive analytics, create visualizations, and use analysis to report findings to clients
• Software Engineer: Support the team by utilizing computer science skills primarily in Python and C#
• Optimization / OR: Create and test supply chain optimization applications that primarily use linear and mixed integer programming
• Data Engineer: Design and implement SQL database architectures, set up and monitor data pipelines (such as ETLs) to support data flow for analysis
WHO YOU ARE
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for any internship with ORTEC. Each internship has additional requirements specific to its type. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- Required: Working towards a Bachelor of Science degree in Supply chain and logistics, Operations Research, Industrial Engineering, Business Analytics, Applied Mathematics, Computer Science, or any equivalent engineering degree
- In junior or senior year and completed at least 2 semesters of major-specific coursework
- Minimum of 3.0 GPA
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- A minimum of 20 hrs./week is requited for this position (40 hrs./week preferred).
- Shares ORTEC’s mission of improving the world using our passion for mathematics
- Highly focused and results oriented: able to identify goals, set priorities, and resolve issues.
- Able to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Highly organized and adaptable: able to prioritize and complete multiple projects simultaneously.
- Able to work well both independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Professional demeanor.
- Analytical thinking.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Organized and detail-oriented.
- Entrepreneur, self-starter, hands on mentality.
- Takes ownership and responsibility of projects and tasks.