Biological Field Technician - (1245)
Are you looking to get back to field biology or ready to kick off your biology career? Do you want to support renewable energy development? Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST) is looking for a self-motivated Biological Field Technician to conduct biological surveys. The role will be nearly 100% field-based and located in a rugged and remote location, while still being 2 hours from Salt Lake City and 3 hours from Jackson Hole.
WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data. Since its founding in 1990, the WEST team has shaped the foundation of what we do, and what we believe in through our core values and key principles. Our work matters to our clients, communities, and the environment. Join WEST and discover a company of passionate, committed, and highly motivated individuals.
Please click here to see what benefits WEST offers!
- Compensation: $18.00 - $21.00/hour, DOE
- Housing: $500 monthly stipend
- Bonus Opportunities: $500 project completion; spot bonus ($50-200); health and safety awards
- Start date: June 2023
- End date: October 2023 (potential year 2 extension through 2024)
- Location: Southwest Wyoming
- Additional details: Vehicle and data collection tools for work completion and a spotting scope (if necessary) will be provided by WEST; however, technicians must be equipped with and provide suitable binoculars, footwear, and appropriate clothing.
Primary responsibility of this position is:
- Conducting fixed-point bird use surveys at a proposed wind energy facility.
- Potentially assisting with other surveys as needed including surveys for raptor nests, bat acoustic surveys, lek counts, and targeted surveys for wildlife species of concern
The successful candidate for this position will demonstrate the following qualifications:
- An accomplished birder with demonstrated experience identifying western bird species by sight and sound, with an emphasis on eagle and raptor identification.
- Experience working independently in remote, rugged terrain in potentially challenging muddy and snowy conditions. ATV/UTV and 4x4 experience is preferred.
- Strong written and oral communication skills and the ability to complete datasheets accurately and submit data timely and regularly.
- A demonstrated record of safety and good decision-making skills working in remote environments.
This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of all the duties associated with this position.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Natural Resources, Wildlife Management, Wildlife Biology, or an equivalent degree preferred, enthusiastic applicants with relevant field experience also considered .
- Must follow all WEST safety protocols and conduct field work with safety as top priority.
- Ability to use, care for and maintain field equipment including work vehicle.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, and interact positively with project manager, field supervisor, landowners, and other technicians.
- Ability to appear for work on time, with some surveys beginning before sunrise.
- Ability to stay focused for long periods of time.
- Flexibility to work variable days and times and the ability to maintain a positive attitude in challenging conditions.
- Applicants must be in good physical condition, able stand or walk for up to 12 hours per day and carry up to 30 lbs. over uneven terrain.
- Surveys will be conducted in locations where temperatures and environmental conditions can be extreme.
A valid driver’s license will be required. Candidates must adhere to all health and safety requirements. Candidate must successfully pass a pre-employment background check, drug screening, and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company, if an offer of employment is made.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, genetics, and any protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.