School Counselor, Mariano Lake Community School
This position is part of the Mariano Lake Community School, Bureau of Indian Education. As a School Counselor you will be responsible for serving as a Guidance Counselor in a BIE school on or near the Reservation. The counselor is responsible for providing professional counseling services to students.
Open & closing dates: 06/01/2023 to 06/14/2023
Salary: $35.17 - $64.83 per hour
Pay scale & grade: CY 21
Location: Crownpoint, NM
Remote job: No
Telework eligible: No
Travel Required: Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Relocation expenses reimbursed: No
Appointment type: Seasonal
Work schedule: Full-time
As a School Counselor CY-1710-21, your typical work assignments may include the following under supervision:
- Serving as a school Guidance Counselor, the incumbent works within the general guidance function supplementing and complementing the guidance role of the Administration, Guidance, academic and/or Vocational Staff.
- Provides individual and group counseling services to students, in the areas of personal, academic and vocational counseling, designed to assist in achieving as acceptable self-concept, self-understand, self-adjustment, self-directiveness and self-discipline; all of which will prepare them to cope with the realities of their environment and life situations in an adequate and self-satisfying manner.
- Conducts individual and group guidance/orientation services for new and re-entering students to orient them to the advantages, requirements, services and opportunities of the school.
- Counsels with students on a regular basis regarding careers, educational, social interest and/or other similar matters, helping them to explore alternatives.
- Conducts and implements the school testing services to meet the needs of the students.
- Collects, interprets and organizes the program data for appraisal purposes. Prepares case summaries, case histories and case studies for professional use. Provides safeguards for the utilization of confidential student data.
- Sets up and maintains files and records of individual and group counseling sessions.
- Utilizes the services of the other disciplines and promotes the interdisciplinary team approach to problem solving. Also uses community and other agency referral services to assist students.
- As requested, assists dormitory and other school staff in in-service and seminary training sessions. Acts as liaison to community referral sources.
- Works closely with the academic staff, to follow the academic growth of students; recommend conferences to discuss individual student problems experienced in the academic area with concerned staff members, for the purpose of arriving at solutions to student problems. Serves a team member on IEP and IRG student committees.
- Counsels with each student based on career surveys of each individual and prepares a class schedule that reflects the career pathway of one career academy.
Conditions of Employment
- Appointment may be subject to a suitability or fitness determination, as determined by a completed background investigation for Public Trust position.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a background clearance.
- Must be certified by a state's Department of Education.
- Must obtain and maintain School Counselor Certification.
- Must obtain and maintain valid state driver's license.
Who May Apply:
- Applicants with Indian Preference
- All U.S. Citizens
Qualifications: In order to qualify, you must meet the education and experience requirements contained in the approved job category for P.L. 95-561 described below.
Basic Education Requirement for Pay Level 21-24: Applicants must possess a Masters degree (or higher) in guidance & counseling or counseling psychology or closely related field.
Applicants must also have state certification in the state where they will be employed. Emergency and provisional certifications may be accepted under the conditions imposed by the state certification authority.
Applicants who hold State certification in a State other than where the position is located; appointments will include provisional contract to allow incumbents two full contract terms to obtain full State certification.
Pay Level Requirements: To qualify for a pay level, you must have completed the degree requirement and if stated the required semester hours at the next level of education from an accredited university in a related field of study.
Pay Level 21 requires a Master's Degree
Pay Level 22 requires a Master's Degree plus 15 graduate semester hours
Pay Level 23 requires a Master's Degree plus 30 graduate semester hours
Pay Level 24 requires a Doctorate Degree
Pay tables for Bureau of Indian Education Title 25 positions can be found at https://www.bie.edu/topic-page/education-pay-table-archives
Basis of Rating: All applicants for this position will be rated based upon the documentation submitted. Applications are evaluated based on extent and quality of their experience, training and/or education as reflected in the assessment questionnaire.
Applicants will be further evaluated according to the degree to which they possess to determine the potential to acquire knowledge, skills, abilities, and personal characteristics as listed below.
The judgment of qualifications will be based on the material submitted; therefore, it is to the applicant's advantage to give complete and thorough responses and to present information in a neat and orderly fashion. Qualifications and Indian preference eligibility will be determined on the basis of information submitted.
Experience is considered for determining appropriate pay setting and refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience to be considered.
To meet the education requirements, you must submit a legible copy of transcripts from an accredited institution with your name, school name, credit hours, course level, major(s), and grade-point average or class ranking. Official transcripts are required upon selection.
To meet the education requirements, you must submit a legible copy of transcripts from an accredited institution with your name, school name, credit hours, course level, major(s), and grade-point average or class ranking. Official transcripts are required upon selection. Web print-outs and student advisement copies are NOT acceptable.
Education must have been obtained from an accredited or pre-accredited institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications.
For further information on creditable education visit: Accreditation: Postsecondary Education Institutions | U.S. Department of Education
Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: Recognition of Foreign Qualifications | International Affairs Office (ed.gov)
To apply for this position, click on the following link:
The documents you are required to submit are:
- Official Transcripts
- State Licensure/Certification
- Completed online questionnaire/Assessment
If you fail to provide these documents, you will be marked as having an incomplete application package and you will not be considered any further.
For applicants claiming Indian Preference, must submit BIA Form 4432. The Indian Preference BIA Form 4432 is required and located on the Bureau of Indian Affairs Website: Indian Preference | Indian Affairs (bia.gov). The form must be completed by the appropriate official with the federally-recognized tribe where the applicant is enrolled as a member. No other form will be accepted
- 1. Tips for Resume: Cover letter is optional
- Your resume may be submitted in any format and must support the specialized experience described in this announcement.
- Work experience listed must include for each position held:
- Position Title
- Employer address/information
- Dates of Employment (include month/year)
- Hours worked per week
- Supervisor's Name and telephone number
- Duties - narrative to identify duties performed, accomplishments, grades taught, etc.
- Resumes MUST NOT include a photograph, hypertext/hyperlinks, or other inappropriate material or content. Such items may result in your application removed from consideration.
- For additional information see: What to include in your resume.
- 2. Official or Unofficial Transcripts: Must submit a legible copy of transcripts from an accredited institution with your name, school name, credit hours, course level, major(s), and grade-point average or class ranking. Official transcripts are required upon selection.
- Education must have been obtained from an accredited or pre-accredited institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications.
- Transcripts can be photocopies of Official or Unofficial provided the following:
- clearly identify school name
- clearly identify student name
- are legible
- are NOT web print-outs
- are NOT student advisement copies
- list date degree awarded/conferred
- list degree conferred
- list coursework (transferred hours may requires original school transcripts to list actual courses)
3. State Certification/Licensure:
You MUST submit a copy of your professional certification or licensure, it must clearly reflect
- the state issuing the certification/license
- your name
- issue date
- expiration date
Additional Optional Forms
- For current or former Federal employees, you can submit SF-50, DD-3434 or other federal agencies official "Notification of Personnel Action" equivalent (Note: SF-52 or agencies "Request for Personnel Action" is not acceptable)
- Use to validate prior service and/or previous highest rate (NOT USED FOR QUALIFCATIONS)
- For Military Spouse Preference claims PCS orders and marriage certificate;
- For verification of Veteran status, DD-214 (which indicates character of service), SF-15, VA Letter and/or Activation/Deactivation orders
- (NOT USED FOR QUALIFICATIONS NOR ELIGIBLITY).
Future Military Retirees*: You are required to submit a copy of your retirement DD Form 214 (Member 4 Copy) OR certification document** OR a copy of your retirement letter AND a copy of your terminal leave request (if applicable). You will be required to provide your DD Form 214 (Member 4 Copy) upon issuance.
Future Separation from the Military*: You are required to submit a copy of your most recent DD Form 214 (Member 4 Copy) OR certification document** OR a copy of your most recent active duty orders AND a copy of your terminal leave request (if applicable). You will be required to provide your DD Form 214(Member 4 Copy) upon issuance.
*Active duty military members who are selected may not be appointed unless on terminal leave or already separated from the armed forces.
** The "certification" is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions not later than 120 days after the date the certification is submitted. The Statement of Service must be signed by, or by direction of, the adjutant, personnel officer, or commander of your unit or higher headquarters, AND the Statement of Service letter must include your rank, dates of active duty service, the Type of Discharge, Character of Service (i.e. honorable), and, if applicable, when your terminal leave will begin.
PLEASE NOTE: Documents submitted as part of the application package, to include supplemental documents, may be shared beyond the Human Resources Office. Some supplemental documents like military orders and marriage certificates may contain personal information for other than the applicant.