English Tutor Volunteer
Hello, my name is Devin Nakano, I run Y STEM and Chess Inc. a nonprofit. Teaching underserved children Chess, math, and computer science to empower them to pursue STEM majors/professions with the support of professionals https://ystemandchess.com.
We are seeing that many students need to be at grade level in reading and writing. We seeking reading and writing tutors to help underprivileged children. You cant succeed if you cant read or write.
Our students are smart, driven and focused. They just need a little more guidance.
Come change lives with Y STEM and Chess Inc.
We seek a highly skilled and dedicated English Tutor to provide personalized instruction and support to students of various ages and proficiency levels. The English Tutor will create and implement effective lesson plans, conduct one-on-one or group tutoring sessions, and assess students' progress. The ideal candidate should have excellent communication skills, a strong command of the English language, and a passion for teaching. Additionally, you will be doing read alongs with students. Helping them pronounce and understand what they are reading.
This position is completely volunteer, remote and you must pass a background check clean.
- Develop and implement customized lesson plans to meet each student's needs and goals.
- Provide instruction in various areas of English language skills, including grammar, vocabulary, reading comprehension, writing, and speaking.
- Assess students' current proficiency levels and identify areas of improvement.
- Deliver engaging and interactive lessons that promote active learning and student participation.
- Assist students in developing effective study habits and time management skills.
- Provide constructive feedback and guidance to help students improve their language skills.
- Monitor and track students' progress through regular assessments and evaluations.
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date records of students' attendance, lesson plans, and performance.
- Collaborate with parents, teachers, and other professionals to create a supportive and conducive learning environment.
- Pursuing Bachelor's degree in English, Education, Linguistics, or a related field.
- Excellent command of the English language, including strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to assess students' strengths and weaknesses and adapt teaching strategies accordingly.
- Strong interpersonal skills and building rapport with students from diverse backgrounds.
- Patience, empathy, and a passion for teaching and helping students succeed.
- Strong organizational and time management skills to effectively plan and deliver lessons.
- Flexibility schedules, including evenings and weekends, if necessary.