Starwood Capital Group 2024 Capital Markets Summer Analyst
Starwood Capital Group is a private investment firm with a primary focus on global real estate. Since its inception in 1991, the Firm has raised over $70 billion of capital and currently has approximately $115 billion of assets under management. Over the past 30 years, Starwood Capital has invested in over $200 billion of assets, including properties within every major real estate asset class.
Starwood Capital’s Internship Program is 9-weeks long and we select a group of highly motivated summer interns with the goal of identifying talent for our Full-time Analyst Program. Our size and structure provides individuals with a high level of responsibility and the unique opportunity to work directly with senior management, joint venture partners, investment bankers, brokers and commercial lenders in all real estate classes. Summer Interns will participate in a variety of specialized trainings that will refine their skills and assist them in transitioning into the professional working environment of Starwood and the investment industry as a whole. A mentorship driven program allows our Summer Interns to create lasting relationships that will support the continued growth of a successful career.
The Capital Markets Team is Starwood Capital’s in-house debt team that sources financing for investments being acquired by Starwood’s private equity vehicles. The Capital Markets team acts as a borrower, sourcing financing from various foreign and domestic balance sheet lenders, CMBS lenders, mezzanine lenders and other debt investors. The team works in close partnership with the Acquisitions and Asset Management teams to obtain best-in-class financing that maximizes returns for various asset level and corporate investments.
- Apply knowledge of the financial markets and real estate lending to source, negotiate and close optimal financing
- Structure financing packages, and build capital stacks in order to attract inexpensive financing across all asset types (multifamily, office, retail, hotel, industrial, land etc.)
- Interact with Acquisitions & Asset Management colleagues to understand an asset’s business plan, strategize financing objectives and fulfill lender diligence requests
- Leverage banking and financing relationships with existing and new lending institutions and call upon them regularly
- Review loan documents to provide consistent documentation, maximum flexibility and maximum protection
- Develop effective and collaborative working relationships with the firm’s Senior Management and Acquisitions / Asset Management professionals
- Superior analytical and problem solving skills with a preference for candidates with prior experiencing building financial models
- A demonstrated passion for real estate investing and a strong interest in capital markets
- Team player, collaborative, strong relationship building and communication skills
- Self-starter with the ability to multi-task on complicated financings and projects
- Strong sense of urgency
- Detail oriented and thorough
To be considered for the 2024 Capital Markets Summer Internship Program, candidates must meet the following criteria:
- Currently enrolled as an undergraduate student
- Anticipated graduation date: Fall 2024 – Spring 2025