Marketing Internship Fall 2023
The Marketing Internship is located within the Office of Public Affairs (OPA) at the National Museum of African American History and Culture (NMAAHC). OPA oversees all media, marketing, communications, social media and web content for the Museum. The primary role of the department is to promote the Museum’s exhibitions, public programs and educational initiatives. This department is also responsible for enhancing the Museum's brand and reputation. Staff members develop communications plans and publicity campaigns for events, exhibition openings, fundraising, special events and membership activities.
The Marketing Intern will gain valuable experiences in the areas of communications, marketing, and social media content creation. They will assist with monitoring and reporting on the success of social media initiatives and use storytelling techniques to bring objects in the museum collection to life online. The intern can anticipate interacting with museum audiences across platforms such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat; developing an enhanced understanding of advertising, branding and marketing principles; creating strategies, plans and creative concepts to reach targeted audiences; applying tools to facilitate asset management and improve marketing operations; analyzing data and information to identify opportunities and track trends. Experience with Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Suite, and the professional use of social media platforms preferred. Applicants should submit a writing and/or creative sample.
Duties Include (but are not limited to):
• Conducting research and gathering information to assist with the process of selecting, securing and tracking advertising placements
• Record keeping and gathering materials for procurement, informational and briefing packages
• Proposing ideas for engaging and compelling print and online graphic products including advertisements (print, online, social media), signage, posters, flyers, press kits and other marketing materials
• Research and implement new creative strategies for expanding social media reach
• Produce writing and multimedia products that meet the high-quality standards of the Smithsonian Institution
• Interface effectively with many kinds of museum staff including curators, educators, exhibition designers, and others
• Attend NMAAHC virtual events to develop content for blog and other social media platforms