Principal Deputy Director ES 00
The Department of Energy's (DOE) Office of Fossil Energy and Carbon Management (FECM)- National Energy Technology (NETL) is looking for a dynamic, innovative, seasoned executive to lead the visionary efforts to implement new and innovative approaches to the existing organizational structure, facilities, intra- and extramural research, development, and demonstration (RD&D) coordination, and operations of NETL resulting in the revitalization and modernization of the laboratory. The Principal Deputy Director (PDD) will employ strategic approaches to implement organization efficiency and effectiveness, cross-discipline collaboration, a dynamic, innovated work environment, and successful succession management. They will place particular emphasis on maximizing opportunities presented by the Bipartisan Infrastructure Legislation, the Inflation Reduction Act, and other legislations to expeditiously scale strategies and increase the capacity and capabilities of NETL.
As the Principal Deputy Director you will:
- Oversee the full range of NETL's mission to discover, integrate, and mature technology solutions to enhance the nation's energy foundation and protect the environment for future generations and to manage change while improving the organizational culture.
- Assess the financial and personnel resources needed to achieve mission objectives and support mission operations; identifies the need for major organizational improvements and develops the requisite plans and directs implementing actions.
- Direct the internal organization, staffing, policies, and personnel authorities required to carry out the responsibilities of the organization, including the recruitment of senior managers and technical experts necessary to ensure the success of the programs.
- Oversee subordinate NETL Centers to assure effective management and execution of RD&D, laboratory operations, finance, and acquisition functions for maximum quality of performance and progress in meeting schedules and deliverables, as established by current and long-range plans.
- Assure appropriate evaluations of all NETL research operations and accomplishments for major mission thrust areas (efficient resource development, efficient energy conversion, and environmental stability) to confirm that the Laboratory is on target to meet its strategic goals.
- Provide leadership in the application of leadership strategies to improve mission success through assessment and evaluation of organizational alignment and structure, operating culture, work environment, and workforce programs and policies, to effect positive change in operational efficiency, employee engagement, and connectivity between the laboratory and FECM Headquarters.