Pathways Student Trainee (Investigative Support)
To read the full details related to this position, please visit USAJOBS - Job Announcement.
This position is part of the Pathways Program and is open to current students who are enrolled or accepted for enrollment in a qualifying educational institution and enrolled at least half-time.
- Assists DCIS SAs on investigations into allegations of violations of law, policies, or regulations by DoD officials, employees, or those doing business with DoD.
- Observes investigative methods, techniques, and procedures applied to specific situations.
- Observes and records facts about persons, objects, and events. Observes judicial and administrative proceedings.
- Observes and assists in executing search warrants.
Conditions of Employment
- Must be a U.S. Citizen. Position has been designated as Noncritical Sensitive.
- Incumbent is required to obtain and maintain a Secret security clearance. Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service (see http://www.sss.gov).
- Incumbent is required to submit to urinalysis to screen for illegal drug use prior to appointment and is subject to random drug testing for the duration of service with DoD OIG.
- The incumbent must adhere to the DoD Standards of Conduct.
- Incumbent must complete a Pathways Participant Agreement upon appointment.
- All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement.
Internship Program Eligibility
Applicants must be currently enrolled or accepted for enrollment and seeking a degree, diploma, or certificate in a qualifying educational institution on a full or half-time basis, as defined by the educational institution.
Must be scheduled to graduate AFTER June 30, 2023.
Applicants' resume must demonstrate one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-4 grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience is defined as: Providing support with civil and criminal investigations.
Applicants must have completed, or will have completed by their date of hire, at least 4 academic years of post-high school leading to a bachelor's degree or equivalent degree. All education beyond high school must be accredited by an accrediting body or organization recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. One year of full-time academic study is defined as 30 semester hours, 45 quarter hours, or at least 20 classroom hours per week for a minimum of 36 weeks.
It is preferred that applicants are pursuing a degree in criminal justice; or a degree in a related field such as law enforcement, criminal justice, auditing or accounting.
You MUST submit transcripts or proof of education to verify your claim of completed coursework, and current enrollment/acceptance for enrollment. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable at application. If selected, you will be required to obtain official transcripts.
The Pathways Internship Program provides students enrolled in educational institutions with paid opportunities to work in federal agencies, gain valuable on-the-job experience, and explore careers while still in school. The program provides meaningful developmental work with the objective of preparing the student for placement into the agency's permanent workforce.
This internship is a full-time position in the summer. With supervisory approval, interns may work a part-time schedule while classes are in session and full- or part-time during extended school breaks. To learn more about the Pathways Internship Program, please visit the Internship Program page on the Office of Personnel Management's website.
Application of Veterans Preference: The Category Rating Method does not add veterans' preference points or apply the "rule of three," but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligibles within each category. Preference eligible's who meet minimum qualification requirements and who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent must be listed in the highest quality category, except when the position being filled is scientific or professional at the GS-9 grade level or higher. A selecting official may make selections from the highest quality category (Best Qualified) provided no preference eligible in that category is passed over to select a non-preference eligible in that category unless the requirements of 5 U.S.C. 3317(b) or 3318(b) are satisfied.
For this job announcement, the following supporting documents are required as they apply stated below and must be received by the closing date of the announcement. Not all documents will apply to everyone.
- Resume: Your resume showing relevant experience and should include the following: where you worked, job title, series and grade, if applicable, duties and accomplishments, employer's name and address, supervisor's name and phone number, starting and end dates (Mo/Yr), hours per week and salary; PLEASE NOTE: Only the first 5 pages of your resume will be reviewed. Be sure your relevant experience is included in those first five pages. (Cover letter optional)
- Transcripts: You must submit up-to-date unofficial transcripts to verify your current enrollment in or acceptance into a degree program. The unofficial transcripts must include the following information: name of accredited institution, grades earned, quarter or semester hours earned, and date degree conferred. If you are selected for this position, you will be required to provide an official certified copy of your transcripts before a start date will be established. All applicants, to include current agency employees, must provide transcripts with their application. If you fail to provide the required documentation, by the closing date of this announcement, you will not receive consideration.
- Veterans' Preference Documentation: Should submit a copy of DD Form-214, "Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty", showing the dates of active-duty service, type of discharge and the character of service. Alternatively, If you are a current military member in active-duty service and do not have a copy of your DD Form-214, you must submit a written documentation (certification) from your branch of service certifying that you are expected to be discharged or released from active duty under honorable conditions no later than 120 days after the date the certification is submitted with your application for this position. The certification should also include your rank, dates of active-duty service, separations date and what the condition of discharge is thought to be. A Standard Form 15 (SF-15) "Application for 10-Point Veteran's Preference" will be required if you are selected.
- 10-point preference and/or 30% or more Disabled Veteran, you must submit both a DD Form-214 or expected discharge documentation as described above AND a copy of a letter from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) or your branch of service certifying the presence of service-connected disability and indicating the percentage of disability. A Standard Form 15 (SF-15) "Application for 10-Point Veteran's Preference" will be required if you are selected.
- 10-point derived veterans' preference (i.e. a spouse, widow/widower, or parent of a veteran claiming veterans' preference when the veteran is unable to use it), you must also submit a Standard Form 15 (SF-15) "Application for 10-Point Veteran's Preference" and any required documents indicated on the SF-15 to substantiate the claimed preference.
- Retired/Retiring Veterans: Please be aware that there is a 180-Day Restriction on Department of Defense (DoD) Employment of Military Retirees. A retired member of the Armed Forces may not be appointed to a civilian position in DoD within 180 days after retirement unless: The agency requests and is granted a waiver; the position is authorized special pay under 5 U.S.C. 3505; or A state of national emergency exists.
- Submission of a resume alone is NOT a complete application. This position may require the completion of additional form/s and/or supplemental materials. Failure to provide the required information and/or materials will result in your application not being considered for employment. All documentation must be received by the closing date of this announcement.