R&D Linux Systems Engineering Associate R23707
Please Note: In order to be considered for this position, you MUST be a US Citizen and apply through the ARL Workday website.
Design, develop, test, document and maintain Linux systems engineering with security controls for modern TCP/IP networked systems in the Advanced Technology Laboratory (ATL).
- Design and develop high performance, scalable Linux systems configuration with security controls.
- Perform Linux installation, configuration, maintenance and trouble shooting for servers, workstations, and other deliverable systems.
- Design, develop and document automation scripts and customize tools for configuration controlled installation, administration and maintenance of systems.
- Design, develop, install, administer, maintain and troubleshoot Linux containers and orchestration.
- Setup, configure and document Linux services with security controls.
- Other related functions as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical or Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Computing Technologies or other related discipline.
- Demonstrated working proficiency with Red Hat, CentOS and Fedora operating systems concepts, practices, and procedures.
- Demonstrated working knowledge with scripting languages and developing automation scripts in Linux.
- Demonstrated ability to follow coding standards and testing standards.
- Experience with Linux and open source tools for creation, testing, version control and documenting Linux configuration and associated security controls.
- Knowledge of networking and computer security concepts.
Applicant must have a dynamic skill set, willing to work with new technologies, be highly organized and capable of planning and coordinating multiple tasks and managing their time. The position will require attention to detail, effective problem solving skills and excellent judgment. Ability to work independently with sensitive and confidential information, maintain a professional demeanor, work as a team member without daily supervision and effectively communicate with diverse groups of clients. Able to work under pressure and accept supervision. Regular and punctual attendance.
US Citizen. Applicant selected will be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information at the level appropriate to the project requirements of the position.
- Master's Degree in Electrical or Computer Engineering or Computer Science or Computing Technologies with experience in Linux security.
- Four or more years’ direct experience with Red Hat systems design concepts, practices and procedures, scripting languages, automation tools, containers and orchestration.
- Demonstrated experience with Linux installation, configuration, administration, and maintenance.
- Demonstrated experience with design, setup, configuration and maintenance of Linux networking services.
- Demonstrated experience with Bash and git.
- Strong trouble shooting skills.
- Experience with networked systems and computer security settings.
- Ability to work in a team using version control software for configuration management and issue tracking.
- Familiarity with SELINUX, Linux automation tools and container and orchestration technologies.
- Immediate eligibility for access to classified information.
An agency designated by the federal government handles the investigation as to the requirement for eligibility for access to classified information. Factors considered during this investigation include but are not limited to allegiance to the United States, foreign influence, foreign preference, criminal conduct, security violations, drug involvement, the likelihood of continuation of such conduct, etc.
Please mark "yes" on the application question that asks if additional materials are required. Failure to attach all additional materials listed below may result in a delay in application processing.
Visit our website (www.arlut.utexas.edu) for additional information about Applied Research Laboratories.
UT Austin offers a competitive benefits package that includes:
· 100% employer-paid basic medical coverage
· Retirement contributions
· Paid vacation and sick time
· Paid holidays
Please visit our Human Resources (HR) website to learn more about the total benefits offered.
- Standard office conditions
- Repetitive use of a keyboard at a workstation
- Use of manual dexterity
- Some weekend, evening and holiday work
- Possible interstate/intrastate travel
- 3 work references with their contact information; at least one reference should be from a supervisor
- Letter of interest
- Unofficial college transcripts