Senior Civic Leader
Position Title: Senior Civic Leader
Semester/Year: 2023-2024 Academic School Year
Total Positions Available: 1
Supervisor: Katie Flowers
Pay rate: $14.20 per hour
Start Date: August 28, 2023
End Date: May 3, 2024
The CCESL Senior Civic Leader will assist both the professional office staff as well as CCESL Civic Leaders by providing the necessary support and resources in order to help to successfully carry out initiatives through the CCESL. The main focus is to ensure that CCESL Civic Leaders have the support they need to create and facilitate successful programs that encourages Hobart and William Smith students to work toward achieving engaged citizenship. By getting more students involved in the community, CCESL Civic Leaders are expanding upon the partnership between the City of Geneva and the Colleges as well as allowing students further enhance their collegiate experience by volunteering in the community. Service not only helps those in need, but further prepares the students for their experiences once they graduate from the Colleges.
Holding meetings with the CCESL Civic Leaders for the purpose of:
- Sharing ideas about recruitment/retention/assessment.
- Seeking advice/having open discussions with other Civic Leaders about their respective programs.
- Making connections between students and programs and community
Weekly or bi-weekly check-ins with a member of the CCESL professional staff for the purpose of:
- Developing goals and service opportunity ideas for the upcoming weeks.
- Touching base on the current state of service projects/any concerns of other Civic Leaders.
Support, Co-host, promote CCESL Sponsored Events Throughout the Year.
- Manage Civic Leader Calendar with Director (HWS Engage) https://hws.campuslabs.com/engage/
- Providing updates on various service initiates on social media (Instagram, Twitter, etc.).
Work with other CCESL Civic Leaders and the Office Staff to recruit students interested in service into CCESL related programs with a focus on first year recruitment.
- Assist Civic Leaders in finding students to continue with their projects after graduation.
- Support Civic Engagement Scholars (Group me, host one activity per semester).
- Create a set of personal goals to work toward throughout the year (see N drive for previous examples of Senior Civic Leaders, including Lives of Consequence panel, designing Civic Leader t-shirts, Summer of Service panel, StrengthsFinder – alignment with outreach, theme selection.
The Senior Civic Leader will be a full-time student at Hobart and William Smith Colleges who has had at least two experiences in a community engagement opportunity, including (but not limited to) a service-learning course, Service POAP trip, Summer of Service internship, at least two semesters with HWS Corps, participation in an Alternative Spring Break trip, or residency in a civic engagement theme house, etc.
Submit application through engage (https://hws.campuslabs.com/engage/submitter/form/start/588303). Review of applications will begin immediately. You may be contacted by the hiring supervisor for an interview and/ or additional information.