LGBTQ+ Resource Center Student Staff
Position Title: LGBTQ+ Resource Center Student Staff
Semester/Year: 2023-2024 Academic Year
Total Positions Available: 3
Supervisor: Dr. Joshua Bastian Cole
Pay rate: $14.20 per hour
Start Date: August 28, 2023
End Date: May 3, 2024
The LGBTQ+ Resource Center at Hobart and William Smith Colleges plans and coordinates campus-wide programs and services to enhance the community's understanding and appreciation of LGBTQIA+ people, themes, and needs. The Resource Center Student Staff position is an integral part to help plan and implement programs, assist with trainings, manage social media, and staff the physical space in deCordova Hall. Student Staff are often members of the LGBTQIA+ community or allies looking to build a positive and inclusive community on campus.
The LGBTQ+ Resource Center is looking for a student staff member to complete our team for the 2023-2024 school year. Although we are looking for a year-long position, we are open to applicants that can work for one semester.
- Operate within a set weekly schedule staffing the resource center in the afternoons / evenings with two other student staff and the Director. Hours may vary for programming needs / additional responsibilities.
- Support active and passive programming and educational efforts, such as tabling or managing an event. Student employees typically take the lead on individual programs each semester with guidance from the LGBTQ+ Resource Center Director. We work as a team to create social and educational events each semester.
- Aid in communication and outreach support for the Resource Center, to include: social media management, email support, connecting with campus and community partners, developing advertisements for small programs, and ultimately connecting and raising awareness of our efforts to the student body.
- Participate meaningfully in weekly meetings with other Resource Center staff including routine one-on-ones during the semester with the Resource Center Director.
- Other responsibilities may be assigned as necessary throughout the semester.
- Familiarity with the needs of the LGBTQIA+ community.
- Desire to be a supporter of LGBTQIA+ issues and concerns and to advocate through education and programming.
- Previous experience with project and event management and/or transferrable skills.
- Understanding of and/or potential experience leading social media management.
- Possess extremely strong communication skills and be willing to take initiative.
- Strong customer service orientation: positive, helpful, resourceful.
- Ability to work independently with guidance but minimal supervision.
- Ability to maintain reliability with attendance and consistency of performance.
Review of applications will begin immediately. You may be contacted by the hiring supervisor for additional information. Interested applicants are encouraged to submit a statement of interest and resume.
· The statement of interest should include your reasons for applying for the position, any skills that relate to the position, and ideas you may have for the role.
· If you are unable to provide a resume, please include further details about your job experience or skill-set in your statement.
Selected candidates will be asked to participate in an interview.