Austin-Travis County EMS Rider/Observer
Please email Austin-Travis County EMS student and observer rider information packet and form.
- These are Austin-Travis County EMS expectations and polices. They may be different than your school or agency’s polices.
- Students / observers are expected to be well rested and ready for your shift.
- Student / observers are expected to arrive on time. Please plan on being there at least 15-20 minutes early. Late riders may be sent home depending on the circumstances. If you are going to be late, please contact your coordinator.
- Students / observers are expected to act in a professional manner at all time.
- While the shift is short, Students/Observers should plan their own meals if they plan on eating while on shift. Eating is allowed at the Comm Medic’s workstation at the direction of the Comm Medic. Any food or meal should be brought with the rider/observer, there is no expectation that food will be available for purchase on site.
- If you can not make your shift, you or your coordinator are expected to contact ATCEMS in some way, prior to the shift starting.
- If you do not contact ATCEMS prior to your shift and notify us of your absence you may be banned from riding out and / or signing up for ride outs for a period of time.
- Students / riders must be at least 14 years old unless they have prior approval from the EMS Chief or his designee.
- Students / riders are to wear neat, clean, and professional looking clothes. No jeans, t-shirts, scrubs, shorts, sandals, open toe or high heel shoes. “Business Casual” attire is acceptable for the communications environment. Or, a collared shirt with no logos, symbols, logos, names, etc., EMS pants or dark slacks / work pants, and black boots or closed toed black footwear may be worn.
- No outside department uniforms unless you are a cleared provider in the ATCEMS system or have prior approval.
- Observers must sign the ATCEMS rider privacy and confidentially agreement and the ATCEMS rider / observer release. They are included in this packet. You can print, sign, and bring the paperwork to your assignment. Students normally sign this paperwork prior to shifts with their school coordinator.
- The Communications Medic is in charge of all decisions and is responsible for students / riders at all times. Please listen to them.
- The Communications Supervisor may send students / riders home for inappropriate behavior to include, but not limited too, illness, not well rested, use of language, uniform appearance, inappropriate interaction, safety issues, attitude, tardiness, etc. If you are sent home, your hours will not be counted.