Deputy Director, Office of Environment Health and Safety ES00
The Department of Energy's (DOE) Office of Environment, Health, Safety, and Security (EH) is looking for a dynamic, innovative, seasoned executive to lead the organization by developing corporate policies and standards and providing guidance on their implementation; sharing operating experience, lessons learned, and best practices; and providing assistance and supporting services to line management with the goal of mission success as DOE's environment, health, safety, and security advocate.
As the Deputy Director, Office of Environment Health and Safety you will:
- Direct and/or oversees the direction of the following functions:
- Direct and oversees the management of EH operations in the pursuit of continuous improvement in the environmental, health, safety, and security posture of DOE.
- Direct and manages EH to promote communication and to assist Headquarters and field elements with interpretation and integration of health, safety, environment, and security policies into operations.
- Serves as corporate advocate for Department health, safety, environment, and security programs and initiatives, including Integrated Safety Management, Integrated Safeguards and Security Management, Environmental Management Systems, Voluntary Protection Program, and the Federal Technical Capabilities Program.
- Report on the status of the Department's health, safety, environmental, and security programs and the status of Departmental improvement actions to the Deputy Under Secretary for Management and Performance.
- Serve as the appointing Official for Accident Investigation Boards.
- As requested by the Secretary, concur in the final decision to startup, restart, or shutdown facility operations.
- Promote open communication between the Department offices that develop and implement health, safety, environmental and security policy and guidance and independent evaluators who examine the performance and effectiveness of those policies within the Department. Maintains balance and objectivity in recommending policy and performance improvements for the benefit of the Department.
- Oversee the functions of the Department's Chief Medical Officer responsible for the conduct of thorough outreach and research keeping fully abreast of emerging national and international developments in public and occupational medical issues; and serves as subject matter expert for Occupational Medicine to support DOE's worker safety and health programs; and for Occupational Medicine to support DOE's nuclear security programs.