Ohio Department of Transportation Paid Environmental Internship - District 3
Paid College Internship - Ohio Department of Transportation District 3 - Environmental
Who We Are:
The Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT) oversees building and maintaining the nation’s 5th largest interstate system and the 2nd largest number of bridges. We take pride in providing safe and efficient roadways for the people of Ohio and the people traveling within our great state. In order to achieve that, we do A LOT! From Planning, Engineering, and Construction to Law, Human Resources, Communications, IT and everything in between, ODOT has a career for just about everyone. ODOT employees are hardworking, passionate, and dedicated to public service. We strive to achieve our agency’s vision every day: To be a long term, reliable, professional, and highly productive organization.
We Support Diversity, Equity and Inclusion: ODOT values its diversity, and is committed to cultivating an inclusive and equitable work environment for all employees - one where differences are respected and celebrated. Our agency continues to build a workforce that champions the advancement of DEI principles and initiatives.
ODOT's Mission Statement:
To provide easy movement of people and goods from place to place. We will:
- Take care of what we have
- Make our system work better
- Improve safety
- Enhance capacity
Benefits to You:
- Paid Internship - the rate is based on your rank in school
- Flexible hours based around your school schedule
- Real world experience
- Our interns work year-round and are eligible to participate in the intern program as long as they are enrolled in an accrediated college or university and are in good academic standing
- The opportunity to work on an important mission
Who we are looking for:
The District 3 Planning Department is looking for college students who want to contribute to delivering projects and roadway improvements in District 3 while gaining valuable experience for their future careers.
We’re looking for future engineers as well as environmental scientists, GIS experts, and business management or accounting students.
We are looking for full-time summer interns as well as part-time interns during the school year, able to commute to our Ashland office as your schedule permits.
What you will be doing:
You will be assisting one or more of our sections within the Planning Department on their core duties as listed below:
- Analyze data related to conditions of our assets (pavement, bridges, safety, environmental) to recommend project improvements
- Work on process mapping and improvements for our existing processes
- Organize and archive our files and data so they are more searchable and accessible
- Run data queries and reporting of our various databases
- Focus their efforts on project ecological, hazardous material site assessments, and cultural resource field work, including species surveys and report creation
- Project Report editing and reviewing
- Waterway permit determination report creation and reviews
- Section 106 (National Historic Preservation Act) scoping request creation and reviews
- GIS database map creation using ArcMap
- Assist with various clerical duties including, but not limited to, copying materials, and putting together file documents, filing environmental project information, correspondences and documents related to public involvement activities
MUST BE ENROLLED IN A COLLEGE OR UNIVERSITY PROGRAM AND IN ACADEMIC GOOD STANDING.
Must show proof of valid drivers' license in order to operate state vehicle.
Temporary appointments are unclassified pursuant to O.R.C. 124.30 (B).
This position is overtime eligible based on FSLA Standards.
Freshman - $15.46
Sophmore - $15.46
Junior - $15.96
Senior - $15.96
Background Check Information
The final candidate selected for the position will be required to undergo a criminal background check. Criminal convictions do not necessarily preclude an applicant from consideration for a position. An individual assessment of an applicant's prior criminal conviction will be made before excluding an applicant from consideration.