Entry Level Scientist - ELISA, Immunoassay
Title: Assistant Scientist
Division / Dept.: Immunochemistry
Location: Office-based in Richmond, Virginia
Note: Full time, Benefits, Relocation Assistance Available
Discover Impactful Work:
Our PPD® Laboratory Services team has a direct impact on improving patient health through the expertise of scientists, industry thought-leaders and therapeutic experts. As the world leader in serving science, our laboratory professionals bring their commitment to accuracy and quality to deliver groundbreaking innovations.
A day in the Life:
As an Assistant Scientist, you will use powerful technologies to perform high-quality sample testing for key pharmaceutical clients across the industry.
- Possesses an understanding of laboratory procedures and under general supervision can conduct complex analysis. Responsible for review and compilation of results and data comparison against SOP acceptance criteria, methodology, protocol and product specifications.
- Performs a variety of routine sample preparation and analysis procedures to quantitatively measure pharmaceutical and biopharmaceutical compounds in a variety of formulations and/or biological matrices for stability and analytical testing.
- Trains on routine operation, maintenance and theory of analytical instrumentation, SOPs and regulatory guidelines.
- Communicates project status to project leader.
- Maintains a laboratory notebook and completes all laboratory documentation in clear and accurate language and according to SOP and GLPs.
- Performs daily work assignments accurately, and in a timely and safe manner.
- Reviews, interprets, and analyzes data for technical, quality and compliance to protocols, methods, SOPs, client criteria and Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) or Good Laboratory Practices (GLP).
- Performs self and peer review of the data for accuracy and compliance with reporting requirements prior to submission to QA and issuance to customers.
Keys to Success:
Bachelor's degree in lab sciences such as biology, biochemistry, immunology, chemistry, molecular biology or similar
Previous experience that provides the knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the job (comparable to 0 to 1 years).
In some cases, an equivalency, consisting of a combination of appropriate education, training and/or directly related experience, will be considered enough for an individual to meet the requirements of the role.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Knowledge of routine operation, maintenance and theory of analytical instrumentation, SOPs and regulatory guideline
- Knowledge of applicable regulatory authority, compendia and ICH guidelines
- Excellent manual dexterity skills
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Time management and project management skills
- Shown problem solving and troubleshooting abilities
- Ability to cross-train on sample preparation techniques with another laboratory group
- Ability to work in a collaborative work environment with a team
Physical Requirements / Work Environment
Thermo Fisher Scientific values the health and wellbeing of our employees. We support and encourage individuals to create a healthy and balanced environment where they can thrive. Below is listed the working environment/requirements for this role:
- Able to communicate, receive, and understand information and ideas with diverse groups of people in a comprehensible and reasonable manner.
- Able to work upright and stationary and/or standing for typical working hours.
- Able to lift and move objects up to 25 pounds.
- Able to work in non-traditional work environments.
- Able to use and learn standard office equipment and technology with proficiency.
- May have exposure to potentially hazardous elements, including infectious agents, typically found in healthcare or laboratory environments.
- Able to perform successfully under pressure while prioritizing and handling multiple projects or activities.
Our Mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Watch as our colleagues explain 5 reasons to work with us. As one team of 100,000+ colleagues, we share a common set of values - Integrity, Intensity, Innovation and Involvement - working together to accelerate research, solve complex scientific challenges, drive technological innovation and support patients in need. #StartYourStory with PPD, part of Thermo Fisher Scientific, where diverse experiences, backgrounds and perspectives are valued.