Installation Crew Leader
Who We Are
Metro Blooms is a nonprofit that partners with communities, property owners, organizations and local governments to create resilient landscapes and foster clean watersheds, embracing the values of equity and inclusion to solve environmental challenges. We believe that collaboration with our communities and across our programs is the most impactful way to heal our earth. We manage the Blue Thumb - Planting for Clean Water partnership and own the for-profit Metro Blooms Design+Build, a full-service landscape design and construction company. This position is employed by Metro Blooms Design+Build.
The Installation Crew Leader is responsible for the oversight of Metro Blooms’ stormwater management and resilient landscape installation projects. These projects are designed by our landscape designers. Designs are typically naturalistic and native plant and perennial-focused. Projects range in size from a single front yard raingarden to a multi-family or community-based project that includes large areas of plantings as well as hardscape like stepping stones, natural stone walls, pathways and patios. We take pride in installing beautiful and thoughtful landscapes that provide resilient outdoor spaces for both humans and urban wildlife, and we are dedicated to safety and thoroughness in all our work. This position works with the design, installation and landcaremaintenance teams and other organization staff when necessary to implement program objectives and ensure that all aspects of our installation programming exceed stakeholder expectations. This includes installation bidding, training and leading crew members to install contracted projects, managing installation project budgets and timelines, and managing client expectations and relationships.
What You’ll Do
● Train, motivate and lead crew of 3-5. Historically, our crew has been made up primarily of young adults (20-24 year olds). Through our collaboration with our nonprofit programming, we also train and work alongside residents from rental communities to offer local employment opportunities. Crew leader must be comfortable guiding and working with young adults and residents.
● Communicate and coordinate with Vice President and Project Manager daily to schedule project and crew
activities to complete work in a timely manner
● Manage project budgets, working with Vice President if expenses are expected to exceed budget
● Manage the construction of landscapes features and assure that projects are completed to a
professional standard. Projects may include, but are not limited to, raingardens, native plantings,
landscape beds, stormwater inlet structures, downspouts and conveyance, earth moving, and light hardscaping such as stepping stones, small stone walls and edging.
● Oversee the safety and general well-being of crew members
● Work in partnership with Landcare Manager to establish assessment and evaluation of crew development
● Keep storage areas, equipment and vehicle clean and in good order throughout the season
● Foster a strong culture of hard work, care, environmental stewardship, skill building and team unity for the installation crew
● Maintain a clean and organized work site during each work day and upon completion of the project (pack in pack out / leave no trace principles)
● Represent Metro Blooms Design + Build in a professional manner when communicating with project stakeholders, clients and the general public
Need to Have
● Experience leading landscape installation crew, including planting
● Experience driving a truck & trailer, and/or willingness to learn to safely operate such vehicles
● Basic computer and digital photography skills
● Good phone, text and emailing etiquette
● Ability and willingness to work outside 40 hours/week, sometimes in adverse weather conditions
● Good organizational skills
● Good communication skills, with internal team and external project clients
● A strong sense of timeliness and efficiency standards
● An ability to solve logistical problems on-the-fly; ability to adapt quickly to changing situations
● An ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
● An ability to operate power tools and equipment safely
● An ability to interpret design drawings and site documents to install new projects or maintain
● Must pass a background check, at the discretion of Metro Blooms Design+Build
● A valid Minnesota driver's license with a good driving record at time of application and during
employment. Ability to manage the transport and obtainment of bulk landscape materials utilizing our truck and 4 cubic yard dump trailer.
A preferred candidate will have 2-3 years of professional landscape installation experience, and a working knowledge of and experience with raingardens, stormwater management practices (design, install, or/and maintenance), gardening, native plants, perennials, and the management of weedy plants. Also, substantial experience in a leadership position, preferably including youth and young adults, and an ability to develop and maintain excellent relationships with crew members, volunteers, staff, clients, stakeholders, vendors and peers. Potential candidate will have a passion for environmental stewardship and a robust affection for working outside.
Metro Blooms celebrates diversity and is committed to creating a positive and inclusive environment for all employees and applicants. We don’t just accept difference, we thrive on it for the benefit and resilience of our employees, our programs, and our community. We are passionate about creating a diverse workforce that promotes the values of equity and justice.
To apply: Visit https://metroblooms.org/employment/