Program Assistant I
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center is an independent, nonprofit organization providing adult cancer treatment and groundbreaking research focused on cancer and infectious diseases. Based in Seattle, Fred Hutch is the only National Cancer Institute-designated cancer center in Washington.
With a track record of global leadership in bone marrow transplantation, HIV/AIDS prevention, immunotherapy and COVID-19 vaccines, Fred Hutch has earned a reputation as one of the world’s leading cancer, infectious disease and biomedical research centers. Fred Hutch operates eight clinical care sites that provide medical oncology, infusion, radiation, proton therapy and related services, and network affiliations with hospitals in five states. Together, our fully integrated research and clinical care teams seek to discover new cures to the world’s deadliest diseases and make life beyond cancer a reality.
At Fred Hutch we value collaboration, compassion, determination, excellence, innovation, integrity and respect. These values are grounded in and expressed through the principles of diversity, equity and inclusion. Our mission is directly tied to the humanity, dignity and inherent value of each employee, patient, community member and supporter. Our commitment to learning across our differences and similarities make us stronger. We seek employees who bring different and innovative ways of seeing the world and solving problems. Fred Hutch is in pursuit of becoming an anti-racist organization. We are committed to ensuring that all candidates hired share our commitment to diversity, anti-racism and inclusion.
The National Institutes of Health (NIH) established the Women's Health Initiative (WHI) in 1991 to address the most common causes of death, disability and impaired quality of life in postmenopausal women. The WHI is one of the largest U.S. prevention studies of its kind and it is currently moving into its third extension. The WHI Clinical Coordinating Center (CCC), located at Fred Hutchinson, is responsible for study implementation and coordination of statistical, epidemiologic, nutritional and clinical aspects of the WHI and is responsible for data collection, management and analysis.
The Program Assistant I works independently and in collaboration with other Outcomes Unit operational staff to assist in accomplishing the study goals described above. The primary responsibilities of the position are supporting outcome collection activities, including medical record requesting, logging participant phone calls, sending study correspondence to participants, and general unit-wide administrative tasks.
May perform all or some of the following responsibilities:
- Conduct follow-up participant contacts (phone/mail) to: collect or clarify missing information, request a signed medical release, update contact information, and encourage continued study participation.
- Request medical records from medical facilities (efax or mail) as directed by the Project Coordinators.
- Review received medical records for details related to specific health outcomes; re-contact medical facilities for any missing or incomplete records.
- Monitor adherence to study protocol.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- High school graduation or GED.
- Able to work independently with minimal supervision, and also as part of a team
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrate computer skills with proficiency in a variety of software packages. Word, Excel, database programs, MS Outlook
- Detail-orientated; strong organizational skills
- Team player and has ability to work well within a multidisciplinary team
- Empathy and excellent listening skills
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center has a mandatory COVID-19 vaccine requirement, with exceptions only for approved medical or religious accommodations. As a condition of employment, newly hired employees must, prior to their first day of employment:
Provide proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 ; OR
Initiate the accommodations process to request a religious or medical accommodation (medical accommodations require a healthcare provider’s certification).
A statement describing your commitment and contributions toward greater diversity, equity, inclusion, and antiracism in your career or that will be made through your work at Fred Hutch is requested of all finalists.
The hourly pay range for this position is from $20.53 to $29.23 and pay offered will be based on experience and qualifications.
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center offers employees access to a retirement savings plan, an employee assistance program, paid sick leave (1 hour for every 30 hours worked), and prorated paid holidays (up to 13 days per year).