Data Science Intern
Grainger is a leading broad line distributor with operations primarily in North America, Japan and the United Kingdom. We achieve our purpose, We Keep the World Working®, by serving more than 4.5 million customers with a wide range of products that keep their operations running and their people safe. Grainger also delivers services and solutions, such as technical support and inventory management, to save customers time and money.
We're looking for passionate people who can move our company forward. As one of the 100 Best Companies to Work For, we have a welcoming workplace where you can build a career for yourself while fulfilling our purpose to keep the world working. We embrace new ways of thinking and recognize everyone is an individual. Find your way with Grainger today.
Grainger is a leader in data-driven culture. Our Analytics & Data team operates as a center of excellence helping leaders and teams across all areas of the business make decisions based on informed insights that enhance our customer experience and improve performance.
At Grainger, you will work with outstanding data scientists and AI experts with very diverse backgrounds and strong technical expertise. Our team's mission is to use multiple different technology platforms to build data-driven solutions and capabilities using machine learning and big data with a focus on Predictive Analytics, Deep Learning, Computer Vision, Natural Language Processing, and other relevant areas.
As a Data Science Intern, you will apply these techniques using a wealth of our data to develop insights which inform and influence customer-facing investment decisions while also learning about the role an analytics department plays within an organization.
From optimizing marketing investment returns, to sales force strategy, and real-time product recommendations, the work from this position has a meaningful effect on our organization through the development of work that influences overall company strategy and enhances the success of tactical projects.
You are someone with technical skills and is curious in identifying problems and finding solutions. In addition, making decisions and assumptions in route to finding a solution while demonstrating the ability to understand the effects of those decisions and assumptions. You should be able to work both individually and in larger teams. Finally, communication skills are needed to be able to articulate why findings are reasonable and the effects those findings have for the business.
- Plan, execute, and communicate the results of important analyses focused on several of our essential investments
- Use market, customer, and other information to identify patterns and insights which are beneficial to our company
- Use analytical techniques to measure results of current business activities and project future results based on business and leadership decisions
- Research and recommend creative solutions to a wide array of business problems using statistics and mathematics
- Pursuing a degree in Analytics, Predictive Analytics, Data Science, Statistics, Economics, Mathematics, or related field
- Master's degree is preferred
- Expected graduation with a Bachelor's or Master's degree between Winter 2022 – Spring 2023
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- obtain, explore, and interpret data
- Knowledge of basic statistical methods
- Experience with SPSS, R, SAS, Python, Spark, or other statistical programming language
- Visualize data in R, Python, Tableau, or Excel (can perform complex functions)
- Knowledge of SQL
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.