Culinary Leadership Intern - Chicago City Cruises
City Experiences is seeking a Culinary Leadership Intern for our Food and Beverage operation in Chicago, IL.
City Experiences’ mission is to create amazing experiences. Our brand heritage dates back nearly 100 years, and today, our footprint spans 111 countries and more than 125 U.S. cities. We are proud to serve more than 30 million guests annually across our portfolio of water-based experiences, land-based experiences, overnight cruise experiences, and ferry and transportation services. If you’re an enthusiastic team player who thrives in an environment where communication, creativity, and cooperation are encouraged, this may be the opportunity for you.
This person will be adaptable, dynamic, and embody City Experiences’ RESPECT Service System.
About the Opportunity:
Culinary Leadership Interns will serve as an essential part of the operations team by working to ensure that exceptional service is provided to the guests throughout the execution of the cruise. Interns are expected to work safely and to be dynamic in a fast-paced environment. In addition to operational responsibilities, all Interns in the company are expected to participate in learning opportunities, including company-led webinars and completing e-learning leadership development courses. Interns will support the company’s mission of creating amazing experiences for our guests.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provide exceptional hospitality to guests and coworkers as prescribed in our company culture, RESPECT.
- Learn how to order, supervise, prep, and run a kitchen onboard a vessel
- Learn how to lead, coach, and evaluate crew members to perform company standards
- Learn to complete and supervise the daily food safety, sanitation, and cleanliness standards
- Ensure consistency of food quality standards
- Maintain continuous communication with the back of the house and restaurant management regarding staff and operations.
- Develop positive working relationships with city department heads and peers.
- Assist with resolving guest service issues, in conjunction with the on-duty Restaurant Manager, utilizing strong guest service skills and exercising diplomacy in keeping with company objective of guest retention.
- Maintain good relationships with crew members and vendors
- Attend and run daily pre-shifts and operations meetings as directed
- Ensure that staff and guests adhere to all safety standards and procedures.
- Complete leadership development courses as assigned in Hornblower University.
- Participation in professional development sessions and workshops.
- Complete all tasks related to an internship project as determined by your departmental supervisor.
- Maintain the cleanliness and safety of all common areas and service stations aboard the vessels
- Be prepared to begin work at a scheduled time.
- Maintain uniform and personal grooming in compliance with appearance standards.
- Additional duties assigned.
Requirements & Qualifications:
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Must be pursuing an associate’s degree or bachelor’s degree.
- Energetic and enthusiastic personality essential.
- Must be able to convey written and verbal information effectively to guests and crew members
- Must possess a service orientation – actively looking for ways to help others.
- Basic computer skills required, including proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Will work for extended periods without sitting.
- Required to lift furniture and other heavy items such as dishes up and downstairs.
- Will be required to be available for work on weekends and holidays.
- A self-starter, capable of working in a fast-paced environment.
- Highly efficient team player, with the ability to work independently in a fast-paced, fluid environment.
- Process and quality-oriented with sharp attention to detail.
City Experiences’ passion is to provide amazing experiences on land and water. Our 40-year success through organic growth and acquisitions has resulted in a portfolio of over 25+ brands that welcome upwards of 30 million guests/riders annually. If you’re an enthusiastic team player who thrives in an environment where communication, creativity, and cooperation are encouraged, this may just be the opportunity for you.
The RESPECT Service System embodies City Experiences’ mission, vision, values and operating principles. By creating a company culture that puts RESPECT at its core, we believe it will drive us to achieve our goal of becoming a Global Experiences and Transportation Leader.
The Company is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We prohibit discrimination and harassment against any applicants or employees based upon their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, mental or physical disability, status as a protected veteran, or other characteristics prohibited by applicable law. Additionally, we encourage all qualified applicants including those with past arrest or conviction records to apply. The Company participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations.