Researcher 2 - Operations Lead
The UMN Genomics Center (UMGC) has become a top academic sequencing facility by providing affordable, cutting-edge genomic solutions to researchers at the University of Minnesota and throughout the U.S. This position is located at our St. Paul campus lab where we provide genomics services to UMN and external researchers. The workload consists of following standard operating procedures (SOP), and generating and delivering data for service manager review. In addition, this position also requires the running, maintaining, and troubleshooting of specialized scientific instrumentation necessary to accomplish the tasks associated with services.
Major job functions for this position include the following.
1) Laboratory experiments - 60%
- Perform multiple complex scientific procedures effectively, efficiently and independently.
- Provide a high level of documentation in accordance to Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA).
- Meet project specifications on time.
- Track multiple concurrent projects.
- Maintain a required high level of cleanliness and refined processing technique to ensure samples are not contaminated.
- Carry out laboratory experiments under the direction of UMGC scientists.
- Troubleshoot experiments.
- Operate all related specialized instrumentation and technologies, i.e. ABI 7900, 10X Genomics Chromium, PacBio and Illumina sequencers, liquid handling robots.
- Maintain instrumentation per manufacture protocols.
- Work collaboratively with other staff and researchers.
2) Data Collection and Analysis - 20%
- Collect and analyze data using custom or vendor software.
- Evaluate and clearly communicate experimental results.
- Ability to accurately enter, interpret and analyze data using Excel spreadsheets.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite.
- Assist with data mining and metadata for improving and tracking UMGC services and processes.
3) Project Management - 10%
- Create and track projects using the UMGC’s FileMaker Pro database.
- Keep detailed records of experiments.
- Coordinate experiments with other staff members.
- Communicate with clients and collaborators regarding project planning, status, and results.
4) Follow Quality Control and Assurance Protocols - 10%
- Test samples for compliance with minimum quality control requirements using PicoGreen and Agilent Bioanalyzer
- Create quality control reports using data.
- Maintain lab safety and CLIA requirements and guidelines.
- Complete CLIA/research required reports and records for each project.
- Assist with data mining and metadata for improving results of CLIA/research projects.
40-hour work week will be arranged ahead of time which may include nights and weekends.
Must be able to lift 25 pounds.
The Employer retains the right to change or assign other duties to this position.