A civil engineering intern assists and receives supervision from an assigned designer, senior designer, or Engineer with various project-related tasks, which may include:
- Base-mapping existing conditions within the limits of a given scope in AutoCAD
- Mapping out all existing utilities for a given project
- Site visits to verify existing conditions
- Prepare and design construction plan sheets
- Prepare traffic control plans for use in installation
- Prepare permit applications/transmittal letters
A civil engineering intern should have the knowledge of engineering standards, as well as state and local regulations. A civil engineering intern should be in the process of obtaining a bachelor’s degree in a related field.