LABORATORY TECHNICIAN (PART-TIME)- SHAKOOR LAB
The Shakoor Laboratory at the Donald Danforth Plant Science Center (St. Louis, Missouri) develops and uses integrated digital agriculture systems to study the effects of phenotype, genotype, and environment on crop productivity. Leading edge tools, methods, and technologies are being utilized to optimize the ability of Sorghum Bicolor to capture carbon dioxide from the atmosphere and store it in its roots, shoots and leaves. We are seeking a highly motivated Part-time Laboratory Technician to join our team.
- Plays a key role in the implementation of lab research projects, including planting, plant and soil sampling, application of treatments and general maintenance of greenhouse and field-grown plants.
- Responsible for carrying out various molecular biology techniques including, but not limited to, DNA/RNA extraction, restriction digest, PCR and gel electrophoresis.
- Helps lab and field Research Associates with data collection and organization.
- Assists with field trials and prepares agricultural materials for laboratory testing. Collects and enters data and phenotypic information for agronomic traits; conducts analyses according to protocols.
- Ensures that all lab activities are conducted in compliance with applicable rules and regulations and accepted scientific procedures.
Required knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Able to organize, multitask time efficiently and work both independently and collaboratively within a multidisciplinary and interactive research environment.
- Effective writing and communication skills, meticulous record keeping.
- Familiarity with Google Drive and the Microsoft Suite of products, specifically Excel, PowerPoint and Word.
- Valid license to drive company vehicles to bring materials and equipment to and from work sites/fields.
- Live the Danforth Center values: Collaboration, Diversity & Inclusion, Innovation, Integrity & Respect, Environmental Sustainability, and Stewardship.
Associate’s degree or high school graduate with 2 - 3 years of relevant lab experience or BS degree with no experience.
- Cover letter
- Contact information for three (3) professional references
About the Donald Danforth Plant Science Center:
Founded in 1998, The Donald Danforth Plant Science Center is an independent, non-profit organization with a mission to improve the human condition through plant science. Our focus is scientific research at the nexus of food, energy and the environment to improve the productivity and sustainability of agriculture. We assemble interactive teams of scientists and develop unique platforms to discover underlying principles about how plants work. We then convert that knowledge into useful crops and products, and partner with organizations that are best positioned to solve problems where they exist around the world. The Center’s work is funded through competitive grants from many sources, including the National Institutes of Health, U.S. Department of Energy, National Science Foundation and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
The Donald Danforth Plant Science Center is proudly an equal employment opportunity employer. Employment decisions at the Danforth Center are based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. It is our policy that the Danforth Center does not discriminate in employment opportunities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, or national origin and status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to access the information provided on this web site, please contact Human Resources, at 314-587-1033 for further assistance.