Digital Modeling Internship (Fall 2023)
What to Expect
Disclaimer: This position is expected to start around August or September 2023 and continue through the entire Fall term (i.e. through December) or into Winter/Spring 2024 if available. We ask for a minimum of 12 weeks, full-time, in-person. Please consider before submitting an application.
International Students: If your work authorization is through CPT, please consult your school on your ability to work 40 hours per week before applying. Again, please do not apply until you know you can work 40 hours per week. Many students will be limited to part-time during the academic year.
Internship Program at Tesla
The Internship Recruiting Team is driven by the passion to recognize and develop emerging talent. Our year-round program places the best students in positions where they will grow technically, professionally, and personally through their experience working closely with their Manager, Mentor, and team. We are dedicated to providing an experience that allows the intern to experience life at Tesla by including them in projects that are critical to their team’s success.
- Location: Tesla Design Studio - Hawthorne, CA
About the Team
As an intern for the Digital Design team at the Tesla Design Studio, you will be primarily tasked to bridge design and engineering, as you help consistently develop the highest-quality digital prototypes for both interior and exterior of production and concept vehicles. Your role will support the design and development of Tesla vehicles while you learn to interpret and define design intent through the creation of accurate and beautiful 3D models. You will be expected to develop high quality, production-ready surfaces and be a trusted source, advisor and problem solver. It is expected that your work displays artistry, imagination and innovation.
Our world-class team operates with a non-conventional automotive product development philosophy of high interdisciplinary collaboration, flat organizational structure and technical contribution at all levels. You will be expected to challenge and be challenged, to create, and to innovate.
What You’ll Do
- Learn to develop 3D forms from 2D sketches and renderings
- Analyze engineering criteria to aid in design surface development
- Develop surface modeling techniques using Tesla standards
- Support managing the organization and release of Vehicle Design data
What You’ll Bring
- On-site internship only
- Experience with CAD modeling
- Strong technical problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal)
- Ability to deliver results on challenging projects with tight deadlines
- Working towards a degree in Engineering, Architecture, Product Design, Industrial Design, or another related field