ORGANIZATION DESIGN TRAINEE
This role is part of the United States Postal Service Professional Development Program (PDP), to develop the competencies, technical knowledge, skills, and experience needed for success in a full performance Headquarters level job. The first year of the program is dedicated to developing core competencies using the Postal Service Competency model. Selected candidates will apply the technical knowledge, skills, and abilities acquired from an academic program of study to the USPS business environment through the completion of projects and work assignments within various business units. Throughout the program, trainees will have the opportunity to participate in mentoring and networking opportunities within various levels of the organization.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Performs entry-level organization assessment and design assignments designed to develop a broad understanding of U.S. Postal Services Human Resource functions and internal policies and procedures.
- Develops functional knowledge on organization design principles and processes to assist in the development of customer relationships and aid colleagues performing organization design work. Develops a foundational knowledge of the Galbraith organization design Star Model and develops organizational diagnosis skillsets through participation of organization design projects. Learns about the impact of laws and regulations, labor agreements, and organizational change policies that impact work assignments.
- Provides support to one or more organizations to design, restructure, and review projects. Consults with leaders within work units to understand staffing concerns and inform the development of recommendations. Assists with conducting external research on comparable structures in other organizations and preparing materials for customer meetings, focus groups and surveys.
- Maintains organizational hierarchy data within the HR system of record. Downloads organizational charts and reports in support of customer requests. Implements work unit changes and restructures by processing and modifying organizational data within Human Capital Enterprise Systems.
- Supports and assists colleagues in the completion of various projects and assignments to gain an understanding of the organization, frequently encountered challenges, and formulation of solutions. Participates in group activities such as strategy sessions to brainstorm solutions to organization design problems. Assists other Organization Design consultants in designing and facilitating workshops.
- Establishes and maintains effective relationships with work unit leaders, managers, and supervisors to gain report and cooperation in support of projects and initiatives.
- Provides status updates and communicates important information to colleagues and management. Assists with preparing responses to various directives, inquiries, and reports to develop position papers, instructional material, and other documentation.
- EDUCATION REQUIREMENT: Possession of a Bachelors or Graduate degree in Human Resources, Organization Development, Industrial/Organizational Psychology, Social Psychology, or a closely related field from a college or university accredited by a national or regional accreditation organization recognized and sanctioned by the U.S. Department of Education. NOTE: Qualified applicants must earn a degree from an accredited college or university no more than 24 months prior to the date of employment. Preference-eligible veterans (see 5 U.S.C. ' 2108) who were unable to apply during that two-year period because of their military service may apply up to two years after they are released or discharged from active service. Eligibility for these veterans cannot exceed six years from the date on which they received their qualifying degrees. Must Graduate by JUNE 30, 2023.
- Knowledge of Human Resources practices, and regulations is sufficient to understand their interrelationships.
- Ability to collaborate with colleagues to collectively exchange information and insights, troubleshoot problems, and decide on appropriate solutions.
- Ability to conduct research by referencing information and data from a variety of databases, platforms, and other information sources.
- Ability to review and analyze information from multiple sources to gain additional knowledge of issues, inform considerations, and assist with issue resolution.
- Ability to effectively communicate, both verbally and in writing, sufficient to inform and collaborate with a variety of audiences and stakeholders, using strategies and methods that are contextually appropriate to the audience.
- Ability to use spreadsheet software sufficient to review, manage, and analyze data to identify issues, recognize trends, and develop recommendations.
ALL APPLICANTS MUST ATTACH A RESUME AND TRANSCRIPT TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION!!!
**This position requires a NACI clearance. This process can take up to 6 - 8 weeks from the date the offer letter is returned** This is a two-step application process requiring you to create a profile and submit an application for the position you are applying for.